HE351VE compressor size?

I don't think there's as much concern on an earlier truck that doesn't crank the EGT's sky-high to clean out a DPF

I don't think there's as much concern on an earlier truck that doesn't crank the EGT's sky-high to clean out a DPF

I don't know that much about them, but I kinda thought it used an injector after the turbo to inject fuel? I might be thinking of the new powerjokes though.

nah, the 6 injectors supply all the fuel... they just dump a bunch of late fuel to bump the EGT's way up to put a bunch of heat in the exhaust to burn everything off.

a lot of people think EGT's are the end-all gauge of what's going on in an engine... advance the timing and EGT's come down... win/win, right? not necesarily! advance the timing and the heat gets to spend more time pushing the piston down! retard the tming and EGT's skyrocket, but your piston crown temps will probably actually be much lower

nah, the 6 injectors supply all the fuel... they just dump a bunch of late fuel to bump the EGT's way up to put a bunch of heat in the exhaust to burn everything off.

a lot of people think EGT's are the end-all gauge of what's going on in an engine... advance the timing and EGT's come down... win/win, right? not necesarily! advance the timing and the heat gets to spend more time pushing the piston down! retard the tming and EGT's skyrocket, but your piston crown temps will probably actually be much lower

I must have been thinking of the 6.4 powerjoke with the flamethrower action exhaust.

Isn't that the truth. Timing needs to be right of you loose power, melt stuff or break rods if its too early. Or detonation if its a spark ignition engine and break stuff really fast.

I forgot I had a couple pictures of the 431v. So here they are.

06b972d9.jpg

ed73bf7d.jpg

e597b2c9.jpg

e507f9df.jpg

IMO on these the cooling is more important. I would be worried about the possibility of the slides getting coked up and sticking. There is a bit more to them than a standard turbo.

Blacksky, I was going to post the Pm I sent you here an I forgot to. If you feel like it post it up it didn't save a copy or me.

Sorry I didn't post up sooner... Kinda stopped paying attention to the thread for some reason. I found a 431, but it is off an ISL and it uses the electronic control... Probably still gonna get it though.

Aero said:
The 431v it was marked HE431VTi. we used was a pneumatically actuated one. It is one that uses brake system air to move it. I wish I had some pictures of it. I got it off ebay but I'm pretty sure it comes off an 8.3 cummins used in an RV or a bus.

It should be easier than the 351 to install a wastegate actuator on because the stock actuator if you get one of the pneumatically controlled ones is like a wastegate actuator. Its just higher pressure and backwards. To use a wastegate actuator you will need to mount in the opposite way from the one that comes mounted on it.

The flange on the 431v is very close to a T4. Its slightly longer. I was able to grind the holes out slightly and mount it on the stock T4 manifold on the ~95ish 8.3 cummins in our 95 1688 CASE IH combine.

The 431 had the same compressor measurements as the 351, but a larger turbine wheel. I didn't compare it to my Hx40 turbine, it might be the same.
Compressor
EX 3.38
IND 2.37

Turbine
Ind 2.99
EX 2.635

Back