he351ve ford: calling out electrical wizards

hey folks, I need some help from those blessed with good electronic skills. I put a holset he351ve on my old ford 7.3l idi. Since I installed it ive been using just a spring set up ran off drive pressure to adjust the vanes. like seen in this video vvvv

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOB70K2Rrks"]He351ve 1991 Ford IDI diesel 7.3L - YouTube[/ame]

now ive decided to make it more controllable. I picked up a 4" electronic actuator that I want to control with a potentiometer of sorts. I want to run a dial or toggle switch into the cab so I have control of where its at. I will set the limit switches on the actuator to the appropriate spots.

Now my question to you guys....how the hell do I wire this thing up? Wiring Is my weakness. Any help would be much appreciated :Cheer:

pic of actuator
F446CE76-9F8C-4AAF-BDAC-F9EF8181B147-7285-0000085624482AB8_zps9d39a473.jpg

Last edited:
It all depends on how your actuator work, basically you'll need to make a micro controller with programmable logic. It would need to be able to reverse polarity to open and close. Use the internal Potentiometer for current positional feedback as well in tie into a sensor or another Potentiometer for position control.

I started making a setup like this awhile ago, still have the actuator and some brackets in my garage. But after I really started getting into I decided to make a microcontroller to control the factory actuator on my HE351VE. I have a thread on 4BT swaps Universal HE351VE Controller

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9dh3m1AHZo"]Banshee, HE351VE Turbo Controller - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
This is the actuator I'm planning to use. Has the potentiometer feedback.

Thanks for that info you provided...looks nice

7CFEBE25-FA6C-41D0-9D33-0F215E1FF4E6-9626-0000095F0B37423E_zpsf7f6dce4.jpg

The red and black is the positive and negitive for the actuator. To get it to open and close you will need to switch the polarity. The blue yellow and white is your positional pot you don't have to use them to control the turbo but it would be nice to see where its at.

I would use a push button normally open switch, a dpdt switch possibly a dpdt relay. the switch will close the circuit allowing electricity to flow the relay and other switch will change the direction of the current.

Houll beable to open and close it without positional feedback. You could setuo the pot on the actuator to move a gauge maybe a 100psi fuel gauge. 0psi would be 0% and 100psi will be 100% open.

I just looked up that actuator only way to reverse it is reverse polarity. If it was PWM actuator you could change the duty cycle and it would open or retract

Ok, could I rig up some sort of toggle switch? Hold it up it extends, release it stops, hold it down it retracts? That almost sounds easiest. I like that fuel guage idea.

Ok, could I rig up some sort of toggle switch? Hold it up it extends, release it stops, hold it down it retracts? That almost sounds easiest. I like that fuel guage idea.

Yup its pretty easy. plus the actuator has a limiter so if you hold it longer it will just stop so you cant over extend or retract it.

Here is a how to on how to wire a DPDT rocker switch for reversing polarity like I said above. HOW TO: Wire a DPDT rocker switch for reversing polarity

This isn't the best option for controlling the turbo, I think the best option is using the factory electronics. I make and sell my controllers to anyone who wants them which gives manual and automated control with an exhaust break and it requires no fabrication. :rockwoot:

Hope the rocker switch works for you, it'll take some tweaking to get the fuel gauge to work, the gauge will want to see a 0.5v to 4.5v span. If you set up your actuator for a voltage feedback instead of ohms it will give you 5v span instead of the 4v span the gauge will want to see.

Don't mean to *bdh* if you become interested in my controller just let me know or if you have any more question on how to wire or figure out your rocker switch email me at stcontrollers@gmail.com ill be glade to help.

Just FYI I'm not a business I build my controllers as a hobby. I am a Electronic Warfare Sergeant in the Army, I literally build these on my coffee table to piss off my wife :lolly:

Thanks you've been a huge help! I see you live in ft Lewis....I'm about 30min away from you. Since I have these parts already I'll give it a go. But if/when it doesn't work I'll keep you in mind.

Here is how you wire the DPDT rocker switch, doesn't matter if its up or down as long as you wire the middle right, also doesn't matter if its left or right

Actuator_zpsc41d9b1f.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks you've been a huge help! I see you live in ft Lewis....I'm about 30min away from you. Since I have these parts already I'll give it a go. But if/when it doesn't work I'll keep you in mind.

Your welcome I hope this works out for you, let me know if you ever want to meet up and ill show you how my controller works, I can also do custom builds if your a little tech savvy. I made one the other day for a supra. Should be pretty cool once he gets it up and going.

Like I said earlier I started doing this to my HE351VE a few years ago then decided to do something else. I don't think it will be able to take the heat for long. Make sure you have good airflow, and I would still keep the water flowing though it.

here is some pictures of how I was trying to do it.

2011-10-21203224.jpg

2011-10-21203059.jpg

2011-10-21105903.jpg

2011-10-21105434.jpg

2011-10-21105851.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome! Well I'll pick up one of those switches and have a go at it. I'll update and post pics/vids. What's a better pressure to monitor to determine when to adjust....drive pressure or boost? I'm guessing drive pressure

With my controllers I go off boost, I close it up to 9CM and hold it until around 21psi then open it up to 12CM then 15 and 18CM.

with your setup its going to be hard to judge, I would probably find a good spot and leave it alone. you'll need some type of programmable logic micro controller to get the benefits of the VGT.

True, yours sounds like a much better system. Maybe when I get tired of adjusting it manually I will get yours. But I only drive the truck maybe once a month so it's more of a just for fun kind of thing.

What's awesome is, being allowed to have a turbo and turbo workbench right in the living room!

What's awesome is, being allowed to have a turbo and turbo workbench right in the living room!

yeah, I think my wife figures if she wants to see me the best way is to let me play with my toys in the living room. If she didn't I would be living in the garage all day.

Hey steed I would love to see more of your rig I'm guessing its a Toyota ? I have a pretty stout trail rig myself doubler lockers be ad locks bloggers you get my drift

finished it up... just need to clean up a few things and it will be set. I am going to use a 0-100psi fuel gauge to show how far out/in the actuator is. 0psi=in fully 100psi=out fully

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXwC8p4hvfg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXwC8p4hvfg[/ame]

Last edited:
Back