Head & Cage questions

mopo824

Home Grown Show
First off I will be in need of a roll cage soon. With that said the guy I was going to originally use near me has closed shop. I need an 8 point cage built for a 1995 scsb Dodge Ram. I am about 45min-1hr east of Houston and im looking for a reputable shop that can perform this work for me.

Secondly I am in need of a good performance head for a 1995 12v. I'm looking to hit 1k soon and the stock head will be my restriction. I would like to keep my shelf and use my current dual ram intake instead of it being milled off. I will also want to get it cut for o-rings and a head gasket to go with it. Who does good work? Same thing as the first I like to keep my business as local as possible but I am willing to extend my reach for a good quality product.

Hamilton isn't too far from you. I'd look into his if you're talking 1000 hp.

Only chassis guy in Texas I can think of is Charlie Stewart Race Cars.

I have looked into hamilton but I have yet to speak with them. Also all the places I have seen that offer their head don't offer it with o-ringing. And dang they better be worth it for a 6 hour minimum drive lol.

You can always cut off the intake and mount a shelf style intake back on it. Then you could keep your current intake configuration.

You can make 1k HP with a stock head, it will just run at a little higher boost/pressure ratio than other setups.

For the price on a new Hamilton Head vs. working over your somewhat tired and cracked stock head, it might be very tempting to make the leap and buy the Hamilton Head.

For a cage, just buy a kit and install it yourself, the roll cage kits are anywhere from $400 to $1000ish shipped and take 30-40 hours for a first time do it yourselfer to install.

Joe Hellman in the Houston area might do the rollcage for you.

Specialty Metal Craft in Houston is who I'll be taking my truck to for full cage and chassis work.

I saw specialty when I was looking on google the other day. What's their lead time? Price? If you want to pm me the last go ahead. All this stuff I would love to do myself I really would but I work offshore/overseas without a set schedule. So I never know when I will be home how long I will be there or how long I will be gone. It makes it much simpler if I can drop it off and have the worm done and pick it up when I get back or have someone take it while I am working. I talked to Zack via email and he has of course recommend that his head would be what I need. I asked a few more questions this morning my time (+13 of houston) with no response. I am hoping to hear back from him with some good answers.

Last edited:
I was pointed to these guys as well, zz fab, premiere engine, and d&j precision machine

Hamilton by far, if you sweet talk them they will o ring the head for you before they send it out. Of course iwould at least hand port it,abd let machine shop check the deck then o ring...

I saw specialty when I was looking on google the other day. What's their lead time? Price? If you want to pm me the last go ahead. All this stuff I would love to do myself I really would but I work offshore/overseas without a set schedule. So I never know when I will be home how long I will be there or how long I will be gone. It makes it much simpler if I can drop it off and have the worm done and pick it up when I get back or have someone take it while I am working. I talked to Zack via email and he has of course recommend that his head would be what I need. I asked a few more questions this morning my time (+13 of houston) with no response. I am hoping to hear back from him with some good answers.

I couldn't tell you any specifics as far as lead time and price for your application go. But give John Harrison a call - 713-690-4233

I have someone that could do all that for me. Don't they have to be inspected though? I like the idea of taking it to a "fab shop" because the should have all the tools and know how on doing this. The guy I was going to use before gave me a price for the 8 point setup and the plexiglass rear window which in my mind wasn't to bad. He could also make bends around anything in the truck so it didn't matter what I had on the inside he said he could do it. Hopefully Tuesday when I get back stateside I can make some calls to see if I can find someone that can install both the 8 point and rear window at the same time for a decent price.

I couldn't tell you any specifics as far as lead time and price for your application go. But give John Harrison a call - 713-690-4233

I will be giving him a call since he is not to far from my office. Heck I might even stop by there Tuesday or Wednesday when I go to turn in all my paperwork for the job I am about to get off from.

I have seen some of John's work. Top notch for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I called him with no answer and his voice mailbox was full. I also took a ride down by his place today and couldn't find it. The address on the net might be wrong though.

Well I finally found the guy I was originally going to use even closer than before lol. He is at Lastor racing now in cleveland tx for anyone interested.

Back