Head gasket issues with the Mini-Max

Rob_Bones

I H8T ULSD
As the title states, has anyone actually ran into head gasket issue(s) that could be directly linked to running a mini-max? I've heard hoar stories but I can't seem to find anyone to validate the claims. I did the DPF delete and un-plugged my EGR valve and throttle valve. I've had my mini max on my truck for almost 20K and knock-on-wood, I haven't experienced anything that was less than desirable. Thanks for your input.

-Rob

on an '09 I wouldn't lose any sleep over it... especially if you run it on the 60hp tune when towing

on a 10-12? You have to be very careful to match your timing map to your power level as it maintains the same timing map for all levels

on the 07-09 truck, there is a separate timing map for each power level so you don't end up with excessive timing under load

on the 4th gens, yes, but it requires reprogramming the truck in order to change timing... kinda defeats the whole shift on the fly thing

MCC tuners have come a long way with making a good set of tunes that will still work on the fly, but as far as canned tunes? I recommend reprogramming the truck per power level. PITA :(

forrest what are the best maps for each level more timeing with higher level ?

safe bet w/ canned tunes as far as power level & timing level:

stock power - timing 1 or 2
tow - timing 2 or 3
street - 3 or 4
performance - 3 or 4

I usually set them on timing level 3 for tow and level 4 for street or performance

again, this is for 4th gen w/ canned tunes

YMMV

I am about to change my second HG on my 2010. First let go at 70K, now at 99K and doing it again. Will be doing studs this time, and probably looking for an MCC tuner to try and help this.

Chris

4 HG's later on the 13' with 65k. mini max, 100hp sticks, studs, and a s4 charger. think there is a flatness issue somewhere on head. proper torque and sequence on studs everytime. hoping since it just got put back together it will be the final time.

have the original XRT on an 08 for the last 60k. beat on it pretty good, but last month got stupid with a cold engine. gasket time now. seems that most peoples heads are out of spec from factory, so will take mine to get surfaced. also getting some of the 2nd gen koolaid and efi to see what all the talk is about while the head is off.

4 HG's later on the 13' with 65k. mini max, 100hp sticks, studs, and a s4 charger. think there is a flatness issue somewhere on head. proper torque and sequence on studs everytime. hoping since it just got put back together it will be the final time.

tell me more about this '13 with a Mini Maxx :confused:

on an '09 I wouldn't lose any sleep over it... especially if you run it on the 60hp tune when towing

on a 10-12? You have to be very careful to match your timing map to your power level as it maintains the same timing map for all levels

on the 07-09 truck, there is a separate timing map for each power level so you don't end up with excessive timing under load

Thank you Forest. That's pretty much what I was looking for. Like I had said, I've heared of "all these people" but I don't know anyone or anyone who knows someone who's had a box related issue(s).

-Rob

Seems like most HG issues I hear of are from the VGT sticking or too much skinning pedal before the engine is up to temp.

I've ran some super funky test tunes and knock on wood, HG still alive and well.

On a related note. I want to beat the engineers who decided on part and bolt placement on a 6.7L Cummins to within an inch of their lives, nurse them back to health, and beat them again. God I want my 12v's back. I would be done with a headgasket change on one of them by now, and I haven't even gotten the injectors out of this thing.

That is all.
Chris

Back