Head Gasket issues

motocxer117

Heres a history on truck. 2 years ago the head gasket popped at 220k miles. my pops is a tool and die guy, had hiim oring the head check the spec on the deck, it was off by .002 thous. which was in spec with cummins. oring'd the head put in studs did it all right the first time. 4 months go by head gasket popped again due to a chitty torque wrench, thought no big deal. on the 2nd time around i put a s364 on it, bought a new torque wrenchm gave her to 140ft/lbs. didnt have any issues with it at all, really beat on her and everything was good, she wa holdin 1100 ft/lbs for over a year, put some nitrous in her ran strong didnt have any issues, made a couple test passes on the road before i took her to the track, did like a 15lb launch and started sprayin in 2nd gear, she really moved, got home pissin coolant out of number 6, same spot every other time she blew. everytime ive used the cummins head gasket, gonna check the deck again. when i get around to rippin her apart. what gasket are you guys using? should i stick with the cummins or should i get a felrpo gasket this time around/ considering putting in hardened push rods this time as well. what are your guys opinions?

Have you ever had the head resurfaced? You check the block flatness? As far as I know the cummins head gskt is the best, how many retorques and what's your procedure?

Last edited:
i have not checked the block yet. im really hoping the block is still true. never had the head resurfaced probably gonna do that. gonna get a straight edge on the block, really hopin i dont have to pull the motor. usually do the initial torque down in 5lb increments after 100lbs up to 130. 5lbs every hour. get motor running up to operating temp, torque to 140 let cool. warm again and torque to 140. ive used these studs twice, you think i can get another round out of them?

>>> Show us a good picture of the blown gasket :Cheer:

I made it a habit to resurface the head and check the block with a straight edge.

Make sure your fasteners are properly lubricated and give them time to cool.

heres some pictures of the outcome. number six passenger side. what caused the oxidization/corrosive color to the block?
2012-05-29104358.jpg

2012-05-29104411.jpg

2012-05-29104503.jpg

2012-05-29104510.jpg

I would say if you did'nt spray you would be ok. Cummins gaskets are the best. But everything in time will fail. take the head to a machine shop and let them work there magic on it. Deck it, valve job and pressure check for leaks. Should be good after that.
New springs and a port job would be good.

wow that block looks like its been sitting in the elements for awhile.

yea i know. i took the picture after i pulled the head. ive known that number 6 is always a hot cylinder due to lack of flow. but im only makin 600hp and i would think it wouldnt be too much of an issue at this level. what are your thoughts on milling the intake and putting a manifold on it?

How many retorques did you do. What kind of timing? Maybe low rpms and the hit of nitrous with alot of timing. Seems like these head gaskets are hit and miss deal.

I just read, two hot torques. Did you get movement out of them each time?

Last edited:
i did a 15 lb launch 2000 rpms , locked converter into second probably dropped to 16/1700rpms about 10lb boost and sprayed. timing was 16* barely any. if lock it in 3rd and do a pull i can rev past the 4k on the tach, but i peak out at 2400rpms

what is your o-ring protrusion? also you said you never had the head surfaced...... I don't even check them for flatness if I'm o-ringing it, they all go to the machine shop for a surfacing. I wouldn't even attempt o-ringing on a head that hasn't been surfaced.

i had my head resurfaced and decked when my o-rings were put in. its always a good idea. 11 thousanths is about average protrusion for o rings.

my wire was .042 so i machined the groove to .032 below surface giving me .010 protrusion. i didnt get it surfaced i went over it with a dye grinder and a mild pad cleaned everything nice, put it on a granite table and put a indicator all accross it and it was very true. i wanna say it was off .002 thous. and was within spec of what i could find from cummins. if i did something with getting the coolant out of # 5 and #6 do you think that would keep it cool enough to prevent this from happening? like a bypass of some sort?

i dont know about your 5 lbs incriments i also do 25 to 30 but than again that is my way of doing it

heads warped by 5 & 6. heads to big to put on our surface grinder. got quotes from 400-800. i think im gonna buy a new head

To resurface your cylinder head?... $400-800

It should be less than $100-200 including checking for cracks and cleaning it.

to resurface it costed me 90 bucks... my o rings are .041 with a .030 deep machine ring. .011 protrusion

I just had my head magna fluxed, surfaced, and new freeze plugs for 135 bucks.

I think its closer to 400 if they strip the head bare and maybe work on the seats and put in new seals.

Back