Head gasket oring issues.

Lucas1

I did the head gasket 10000k ago .
And it has failed.
Truck is in sig. Rarely driven and not raced

The new arp stud instructions note a re torque is NOT needed.
Well that may be part of the issue .

Head was decked and valves were multi angle ground. And o rings cut/installed.

Block was not checked.
Will be this time .

Now.
Question 1)
I've been told a .20 gasket is needed when o rings are installed to help seal the head.
Also re torque is necessary especially when o ringing
(Believable)

Question 2) since its apart I've opted to install a cam, reading tells me my 650hp goal is easier achieved with a cam.
Now considering head gasket thickness, is a .20 gasket considered to get clearance for say.... Stage 4 colt?

Question3)how will a camshaft/gasket thickness affect drive ability towing 8000lbs. And cold weather

Question4) if I wanted to spray this thing down the road. Will the .20 gasket be benificial? ..

And now that that said ill through a wrench in the mix.

215 p pump and 72lpm injectors are getting swapped at same time as gasket and cam

Thanks for the pointers guys.
This bucket of bolts is beginning to take the fun out of diesels

Last edited:
Do the torque to their specs. Then heat cycle torque again. Repeat till they stop movin

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Corn Fed is right.

The .020" over head gasket won't help drivability but depending on the cam you go with you can regain some low end responsiveness.

Also you could easily fit the colt stage 4, they list it as a straight drop in although degreeing in a performance cam is beneficial.

Corn Fed is right.

The .020" over head gasket won't help drivability but depending on the cam you go with you can regain some low end responsiveness.

I understand low end torque suffers, compression ratio lowering would cause poor cold starts in the winter.

So if I use a "drop in" cam and I am not machining the head.
Why do some people say I need a .20
When o ringing the head? Is it because I am twined and it will help lower cylinder pressure??
What the hell??

What protrusion are the rings set at? Yes, retorques are a must as well as disapline on boost until rings are set.

Cant remember but will find out
.08" ???? Maybe
I assume it will need new o rings?

Orings should be fine. just make sure the heads flat before you reinstall it.

I dont do any stud installs without at least one retorque. The last o-ringed head i did took a couple retorques before the nuts stopped moving.

Back