Head Question

styx53

I have a 06 head sitting in my garage and I am thinking about putting it on my truck. Check my sig for everything about my truck. Do I need to have anything done to it (valve seats, o-rings) before I put it on? I am building a set of ball bearing twins similar to soulzoo's first set and I want to cover all the bases so that I don't blow a head gasket or drop a valve seat. What gasket should I use when I put it back together? I am also thinking of upgrading to the ARP 625's, do ya'll think that this would be a wise decision, or am I just wasting my money. Thanks in advance for all of ya'lls help.

i'm pretty sure that the 06 and 03 head are practically the same head i don't think there were any changes made to the head only changes made to the injector spray pattern and bowl design between 04 and 04.5 trucks. if you wanted to be on the safe side you could o-ring the head and have the valve seats pinned.

That is exactly what I just did. I swapped an 05 head onto mine.

I would have it surfaced, good multi angle valve job, and o-ringed.

Definately go with the 625's.

The '06 head will flow a good bit more air. I would definatly put seats in it and have it decked. I would just run the 625's and a stock gasket or a 24v gasket and o-ring it.

Different design with the valve seats and valves 04.5 and up, usually your good with them... the problem heads were 03-04. I think some 03's had inconel ex valves and J3 seats if I remember correctly though.

Ya they only used those in 04.5 to 05. The ones from 05 til current arent the greatest either.

Thanks for the info guys. So would it be better to have the seats replaced instead of having them pinned? Does anyone have any recommendations on someone close to Lubbock, Tx that could do this?

Back