Headbolt Leaking Coolant?

Mega Hooker

High Dollar Hooker
I have a headbolt leaking coolant from around the top. It is the one at the very back corner on the passenger side, the short one. I just put a headgasket on it about 3000mi. ago from a leak in the same spot. I just assumed headgasket at the time but have i missed something. I did have the head milled flat and cleaned out the bolt holes in the block. any ideas? thanks

Last edited:
you may have damaged the gasket on install. Did you try and retorque it? Did they pressure test the head? Leaking twice in the same spot is worrisome cracked block or something?? I doubt the block is cracked. Your gonna have to pull it again and check the block and head for problems.

i have the same issue i left mine realy lose and the leak stoped it has been like that for 20000 miles and 70 lbs of boost no issues yet ,it is the same stud as yours short 1, 2 nd from the firewall

the headgasket is prolly seeping through between the head and the block into the stud hole then fillin up and commin up out the top. might have a damaged or weak headgasket or a warped cyl head in that spot not alowing it to seal up good. Or just a crack that goes into a water jacket of the head or block and it seeps into the bolt hole? but hope not,....

Ya i would say cracked head beween that hole and a coolant passage... sux!

That sucks cause i paid to have the head completely checked by a good shop and they said it was fine. This truck is bone stock also. The bolt leaking in mine is the very last short bolt. It has to be cracked cause thats where it was leaking before and I know it was milled flat, the gasket wasn't damaged, and the bolts were torqued right. That only leaves one thing.

honestly if it were mine, id pull the stud, drain the coolant clean it up real good then put some rtv where the leak is and around the stud, then drive it as is. shouldnt hurt anything other than posibly corrosion issues either with that stud or the bolt hole int the block....

I would try some block sealer, if your not getting contaminant in the oil, there are several options. Give me a call and I can fill you in on some of them.

I've been in no hurry to put a new head on mine so I used a bottle of Irontite Ceramic Sealer, and then switched it over to the Irontite All Weather Seal. It seems to be working well, you can read about it here

Well after a closer look today I pulled out the headbolt and it was bone dry so i cleaned everything up and you can actually see a crack right above the bolt under the injector. Its about 3/4 of an inch long. I wish I would have inspected it closer the first time before I assumed headgasket. What pisses me off is the place I sent it obviously didn't pressure test it. I ordered some iron tight all weather and ceramic seal today I'm going to give it a shot. That's really my only option right now.

I'd drive that bastard right back to the shop that "pressure tested" it and tell them to try again......

Back