header style intake

Beatty33

didn't know if anyone out there had made up like a header style intake? and how well they worked?:rockwoot:

I bought build your own shorty header kit and I was gonna try to do one up seeing what you guys thought ab them :ft:

intake.jpg

I was going to do 3/8 plate the pipes are 1-3/4 with 3 inch collectors

Thanks for the help guys

A plenum is actually good for an intake, so a runner style intake with a plenum and velocity stacks pretty much works best.

The reason you need a plenum is because when valves open and close, it causes a crazy pulse in the air, and with a header style, that pulse will go all the way up to the other tubes, and mess up velocities.

We have all seen trucks make HUGE power utilizing a stock intake horn and the grids in place.

So,other than a conversation piece kind of like an after market air horn,one would only have to ask why bother?

Straighter airflow with each runner scting as its own plenum? Kind of lack the old carb setup where one carb fed the opposite head.

Believe a 6 individual runner equal length intake was tried 10 years ago by HMR. If memory serves, there was no gain, possibly a loss in power. You're dealing with pressurized air that's backed up against the valves, so assuming every valve has equal pressure/volume behind it, other than looking badass, not sure what this will accomplish.

I don't want to yank the head mid season I have another but just don't have the extra cash to get it running over a weekend....didn't know if it would work I jus didn't know if the smoother flow to the farther back cylinders would help/ hurt it

We have all seen trucks make HUGE power utilizing a stock intake horn and the grids in place.

So,other than a conversation piece kind of like an after market air horn,one would only have to ask why bother?

this exactly!!:cheer: weve done 1200-1300hp numerous times with stock intake horn and location.

Different/style seems to be about the only thing it has going for it. In a custom application, I guess I could see something like this being useful for piping air to the intake due to clearances and such.

Back