Heads

dirty12

So i have been doing some looking and cant find a good answer. I am doing another head job and took the heads to a machine shop to be checked. They say one head is cracked. In the intake seat. Do you run it or buy a new head ?? And another issue is they say not to surface the heads. What do you do there. Thanks

Have the heads been ported before? The reason I ask is the head could be possibley repaired if there's enough material left around the seat area. I've done quite a bit with these 6.0L heads. I have found that most issues are related to incompetent machine shops who are not really sure about what they are doing. What seats did you have in it?

As long as the valve depths are within specs, you can resurface the heads.
Eg: If after the heads are resurfaced, the valves depths are not deep enough, you will have to recut all the seats again to get them back to within specs. (and whatever they remove from the seats to get back to the right depth should be removed from the end of the valve stems to keep the valvestem/rockerarms/lifter geometry correct.)

Unless the head thickness is too thin...
But I think most shops are scared that if they remove say 0.010" off the heads, and you use victor reinz head gaskets, (which are not as thick as ford head gaskets) you will have piston/valve contact.

Back