Headstuds questions

commonrail2006

Need headstuds but everybody says 12mm ARP...the ones that cost $400-$600 wont hold up pass 550hp....Is it true....dont wan't 14mm. some shop also told me about "custom age" headstuds...but those were around $1,200-$1,500. trying to brake 700hp.

I know of people on here that are running those numbers with retorque head bolt. I think that you shoudlbe fine with standard stud that is what I am going to run and I am only shoot for 550 max.

Stock head bolts when torqued correctly will hold mostly anything u can throw at them, there's alot of guys making way over 700 with stock head bolts, but if you choose to go to the arp 12mm that's fine too, whoever fed u that load of crap must not be into diesels or engines for that matter

I have seen them hold 1000hp so yeah I think they will be fine

is this with stock head gasket? if i could do12mm's with what i got, that would make my day. i just dont no how much power im going to end up with and havn't got a clear estimation

wait are u gonna do a O-ring your head? If not u may look into a modified MLS gasket with 12mm studs

I have an o-ringed head and ARP 12mm (standard studs, not New Age 625+'s), on my 02. It has been at about 640hp for the last 4 years, and I haven't even re-torque them in that time. Before I had the head o-ringed and just had the studs, the gasket started leaking at about the 515hp level.

Hope this helps...
Paul

ya , going to oring it. just aint sure who im going to have do it. id like to get it ported to.

Stock CR head gaskets have been well over 1100hp many times

Gona just put in studs with stock gasket. It will be fine as long as you follow cummins torque specs

do not use the Cummins specs with a stud , its not a torque to yield bolt . You need to follow the instructions that are in the ARP box, the Engineers at ARP do and incredible amount of research to give you the best possible results , so follow they advice

I was talkin about the order in which you remove the bolts and put in the studs. You don't start in the front or back. Start in the middle and work your way out. One bolt out one stud in. Torque to arp specs.Is there an advantage of regular arp studs or the new ones they have out?

I had one of the first sets years back. Broke of them during the initial torque @90? Then broke another after they overnighted me one @ 110 . They just didn't feel very reliable, very inconsistent. Sent them back to ARP as per Greg's recommendation and basically got called a liar by the tech. He first stated "These aren't even our studs we gotta send them to the lab". Then we talk again and he says "Well these are our studs but it looks like these are just a bunch of studs that you threw together. Six of them are even longer than the rest." So when I got them back I realized that the six? were the ones that are supposed to go on the exhaust side. They're supposed to be longer...DUH!!! ARP didn't even realize that. That tells you how good their tech's are. But when I was pulling on the H-11's to 140 they were real consistent and just felt stronger/more reliable. JMHO.

The only head stud Ive ever seen break was an h-11, look at all the big hp trucks, ask then what studs there running, if it works for them it will work for the rest of us

I had one of the first sets years back. Broke of them during the initial torque @90? Then broke another after they overnighted me one @ 110 . They just didn't feel very reliable, very inconsistent. Sent them back to ARP as per Greg's recommendation and basically got called a liar by the tech. He first stated "These aren't even our studs we gotta send them to the lab". Then we talk again and he says "Well these are our studs but it looks like these are just a bunch of studs that you threw together. Six of them are even longer than the rest." So when I got them back I realized that the six? were the ones that are supposed to go on the exhaust side. They're supposed to be longer...DUH!!! ARP didn't even realize that. That tells you how good their tech's are. But when I was pulling on the H-11's to 140 they were real consistent and just felt stronger/more reliable. JMHO.

I agree, like I have said b4 there is a reason one of the biggest names in diesel motorsports use them and had a1 make them...

Back