Heat wrapping vs ceramic coating

JD3020

Looking for some opinions on what to do on my engine build. Goal is a DD/weekend warrior that will tow on occasions. Engine is a 7.3, stock cast manifolds, stainless T4 set-up and an S468/83. I plan on running a turbo blanket, and i'd like to do something to the rest of the hot-parts to try and keep the engine as efficient as possible. I've been told to expect $500+ to get everything coated good, but $500 in this build is a decent chunk of change. If header wrap will do a decent job i'd much rather go that route and use the money elsewhere on the truck. But i've had a couple people tell me that header wrap will cause everything to rot in a hurry, even though they have no proof or evidence. Just the typical "well my sisters boyfriends dog once chased a guy that shared a jailcell with a guy that built race engines".

Only way it will rot, is if it gets wet. If it's alluminized, I also think your good. I have heat wrap on my downpipe and the only thing that's rotted is the 8" piece of pipe under the truck that's not alluminized. It's over 3 years old and it sees all seasons.

It makes sense if it gets wet and stays wet, but wouldn't the manifolds get hot enough to boil the moisture off? Either way i'd only be doing stuff in the engine bay, and hopefully with the inner fenders it should all stay fairly dry

I have everything ceramic coated.
Anything that is really visible is only ceramic coated.
The hot pipe is ceramic coated & wrapped with Titanium heat wrap.
Turbine housing on primary also has a blanket.

If you do ceramic coating, make sure you get the inside done as well.

Turbo/ manifold blankets are the best, IMHO

I agree 100%.

I've had blankets for Levi at Turbo Performance for 50k and four years and there still in good shape considering I've pulled them off a dozen times.

I plan on getting one of Levi's blankets, seem to be the best value for the money. Never thought of manifold blankets. Just googled it which took me back to Levi's page and found some blankets for D-max up-pipes for $90, something i'll have to look into.

Just got an e-mail back from Levi, $300 for turbo, manifold, and up-pipe blankets. So its considerably cheaper than ceramic coating. The only question i have is will the manifolds/up-pipes hold up long-term with blankets(or wraps), especially if towing? Just seems like i'd be putting a lot more heat into the metal compared to leaving them bare, or coated.

Just got an e-mail back from Levi, $300 for turbo, manifold, and up-pipe blankets. So its considerably cheaper than ceramic coating. The only question i have is will the manifolds/up-pipes hold up long-term with blankets(or wraps), especially if towing? Just seems like i'd be putting a lot more heat into the metal compared to leaving them bare, or coated.

With the blankets on the up-pipes and manifolds, will actually make them cool off slower so they are less prone to cracking and fatigue.

Turbo performance. in what city state.. I got the name Levi.. but need some contact info

Back