Heater core tip

Whitenightmare

Hey guys, it’s November , time for heat to work.So I Swapped my heater core today . Got it done in less than 2 hours by cutting the metal pipes on the old and new core and reconnecting them with hoses and clamps. This made it possible to replace without pulling the hvac box. Just the dash gets pulled back enough to get back there. I also put on a $60 China dash that fit surprisingly well. Just thought I’d put it out there in case anyone has been dreading this job.

Attachments

• AFD6AB26-7316-47F4-ABE7-7E7043CF9F61.jpg
    AFD6AB26-7316-47F4-ABE7-7E7043CF9F61.jpg
    312.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 554FD739-FFF1-40B2-8535-29E0BDEC63F2.jpg
    554FD739-FFF1-40B2-8535-29E0BDEC63F2.jpg
    413 KB · Views: 0
Just curious, where did the dash come from? 22 years strong on my original with no cracks. Until it went through a cab swap....just starting at the windshield vents now.

There’s a company making them out of ABS with lifetime warranty now. Can’t think of the name but you can find it easily with a search I bet.

Hey guys, it’s November , time for heat to work.So I Swapped my heater core today . Got it done in less than 2 hours by cutting the metal pipes on the old and new core and reconnecting them with hoses and clamps. This made it possible to replace without pulling the hvac box. Just the dash gets pulled back enough to get back there. I also put on a $60 China dash that fit surprisingly well. Just thought I’d put it out there in case anyone has been dreading this job.

Good idea on that heater core replacement! Though my paranoia would require me to double clamp it.

Just curious, where did the dash come from? 22 years strong on my original with no cracks. Until it went through a cab swap....just starting at the windshield vents now.

Not sure who the manufacturer is but they’re on eBay and Amazon. My dash was completely destroyed so this was a cheap solution to the expensive complete dash that it needs.

Attachments

• 95808AD7-A67E-4ECE-BA47-179784406F74.jpg
    95808AD7-A67E-4ECE-BA47-179784406F74.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 0
Good idea on that heater core replacement! Though my paranoia would require me to double clamp it.

Hahaha, I thought about double clamps but there’s not a whole lot of room for activities in there and the 5/8” hose fits those pipes really nice. Time will tell. I’m a professional auto mechanic and have always wanted to try this trick but didn’t want to do so on a customer vehicle. So I’ll use mine as the test subject.

Hahaha, I thought about double clamps but there’s not a whole lot of room for activities in there and the 5/8” hose fits those pipes really nice. Time will tell. I’m a professional auto mechanic and have always wanted to try this trick but didn’t want to do so on a customer vehicle. So I’ll use mine as the test subject.

Did this trick on a 97 12v I had, and like you said it made changing the core much quicker. I only had it for 2 years after that, but never had any issues.

Back