Heater Grid Help

ISBand4BT

Well, not sure where to post this, but I figured the 12 valve guys would kno best. I'm needing to put a heater grid on my Dakota, but I'm not sure what I need to make it all work right. I've got a heater grid, but don't have the rest. And I don't have anything to control it... Any help is appreciated.

Go to Cummins performance parts.com look under cooling system or Pure diesel power.

I've got a spot for it, just don't kno what all I need to make it work right.

I have been offshore eight weeks when i get in i will see if i still have all the wiring and solenoids that came off my truck.

If you have the solenoids and wiring it's pretty easy. The two main black leads that go to the solenoids with the fuseable links go to 12V, then you should have 4 other wires 2 go to ground the other you can put on a push button.

Well, i dont have the solenoids or the wiring. If anyone has it, i'd sure appreciate it.

the ol girl aint likin to start in this cold of weather after sitting for 12 hours at work.

here is a link when I replaced my heater relays.

All you would need to do is put in a push botton in the cab(which is hooked up to the relays), hold in for 20 sec or so and start the engine.

The other connections on the relays go to the battery 12v with a fusable link(mentioned above) and the other ends go the the grid heater.

Grid heater relay replacement - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

The solenoids are basicly ford starter relays off the fender. That are $15 at most parts stores. Nothing fancy.

Just use wire from Napa such as 6-8 gauge. And add your own lugs. It's not very hard to make.

Last edited:
So, bringing up an old thread here, can someone tell me if they know how it actually works? Does the ecm control how long the heater grid relay is on for? If this is the case, does anyone know of a timer that a person could use to control this?

Update, i found a 30sec timer/relay combo. Anyone know what amperage a heater grid relay draws?

The timer would be put on the low draw side of the circuit (very little draw to close the relay). If you check out like the one I posted earlier in the thread you should be able to either get a current amount to close the relay (there are two) or a ohm amount that you can convert into amps by taking 14 and divide by the ohms to get amps.

Why don't you just use a push button? 30 seconds seems a bit long?

30 seconds would be excessive unless under 10* IMO. Push button gets my vote. That is how I started my first clunker. Dodge D-50 with a 4cyl diesel. Wired straight from battery to push botton, straight to glow plugs. I know this will differ some, but the button worked wonders.

Use the push button to activate the solenoid.

Back