Heater not working when setting still

jwfrauts

A friend of mine has an 05 powerstroke that the heater is not working when sitting still. It will start blowing hot while driving down the road but starts blowing cold when setting still. He just had headgaskets installed along with the egr cooler deleted. He said that he is losing water somewhere but the carpet is not wet from the heater core. Any suggestions on what to check?

low coolant level, check level out and mine used to do that after studs and egr delete but the cylinder was cracked and would eat coolant and burn it off so there was no leak. would run the heater when running down the road but not while stopped because the water pump wasn't moving enough volume. never really looked low because the cracked cylinder would pressurize the coolant system making it look like it was full. weird i know lol

A friend of mine has an 05 powerstroke that the heater is not working when sitting still. It will start blowing hot while driving down the road but starts blowing cold when setting still. He just had headgaskets installed along with the egr cooler deleted. He said that he is losing water somewhere but the carpet is not wet from the heater core. Any suggestions on what to check?

What kit?

I think it still has the cooler in it but has the up pipe and air blocked of to it.

If the coolant level is up where it should be, then you can still have the a/c blow cold at idle if there is a restriction in the core. Try blowing out the core and see if there is any nasty crap in there.

Mine does this but only when it's very cold....Running down the highway it will warm up, but as soon as I come to an idle, it starts to cool off alot. (but like I said, only when it's very cold outside.)

Mine does this but only when it's very cold....Running down the highway it will warm up, but as soon as I come to an idle, it starts to cool off alot. (but like I said, only when it's very cold outside.)

Then you have a problem with coolant flow through the heater core.

Back