Help 4gsk Problems!

DiEsElFeInE

Bleeding Diesel!
Having problems with my 4k governor springs, put them in and did initial and 3 more clicks. starting up good, revved it up it camed by down, like it should. so i let it run for 5 minutes after a couple of minutes idling i revved it up again (2000rpm) and let off it went down to 1250 instead of 1000, then i revved it again let off and it camed down to about 1350 then did it again came back down to 1500 and thats where it stayed for the 10 minutes i had her running. this is the fifth time we have done this tried just intial and 2 clicks, tried some other 3k springs same scenario.

looking for some help these are PDR 4gsk.

idk maybe i just need to try someone else springs?

Make sure your throttle linkage isn't rubbing or binding.

Like he said /\ or I adjust mine as many clicks as I can before it hangs so to me it sounds like u need to come off another click on both sides, U did use clicks on both sides not stud prtrusion correct?
Brandon

Initial +3 is too tight, set them at initial +2 and go from there.

Jim

never installed them but is it not common to adjust the idle afterwards. they must be hanging up. just one other idea did you cut the safty wire off or had some one already been there I ask because I was told thaat its possible to get some 4 to 4100 rpm just by tightening the springs if some one was alrady there you may have to start over. hop this helps.

ya i cut the wire off. this thing was stock as stock gets when i got it.

ok so go back to initial +2. check to see if the linkage is binding up on me or rubbing.

b/c i had tried intial +2 and it was doing the same thing. so hopefully its just getting bound up.

thnx guys!

not trying to steal the thread but whats the difference between doing it by clicks or doing the "measurement" is one easier then the other?

Doing it by clicks is easier than trying to measure. I never have measured mine, and had good luck so far.

Jordan

so when you begin to unistall the stock gov. springs you count the number of clicks it took to get it of and then install the new ones by that number and it should be good?

Did you miss some washers? The first time I installed the ones in my dads truck I missed the very last washer.

They have been setup up initial plus two,
initial plus three,
with the washers under the idle spring,
without the washers under the spring,
as a 3k,
with only the idle and largest spring,
and with the idle, largest, and smallest spring

All have returned the same results. We have tried pushing the throttle lever on the pump back by hand with no change. If you let the clutch out a little in gear the engine will easily drop rpm, and with initial plus 2 would return to proper idle, but now the engine returns to 1500 rpm when you push in the clutch.

Whats the best way to check for binding?

I always measure... you may do a ton of them that are just fine by doing a couple clicks, but then when it doesn't work, it sure is nice to know what your stack height was when everything was working right!

Did you try adjusting the idle down? Just to see if it had any effect?

sounds exactly how installed my pdr 4kgsk intial plus 3 clicks on both sides and it will go all the way to 4k i think, i've hit 3500 very easily when breaking the tires loose. and i hit 3700 once in the rain. but i didn't have to adjust the idle on this truck. but on my 96 2wd cummins which i installed another set of pdr 4k springs in i had to adjust the idle.

Try removing the throttle rod completely and run it by hand. If I recall that rod was too short on mine (reason unknown). I had to replace it to get it to behave right.

Yes, unhooking the throttle rod is one way. If you have a really keen eye and it's uncluttered enough in the hood you can watch to see if the stop on the pump throttle arm is contacting the idle screw. Good luck, sounds like some kind of issue there to me. Typically you have to raise the idle with a 4k set but not always I suppose (in my experience you do).

the truck starts up great and idles fine until you rev it. the throttle cable is not under any kind of tension or bound up.

so idk i might just have to take it down to Ponci's and have brad look at it.

turn the idle screw down some and adjust the idle through additional clicks on the springs. that might work

Back