Help! Injector issues?

riggz

Night Train
So on the way home tonight at a traffic light an older model chevy gasser tries to race me. I ease on the throttle and then give it about 3/4 throttle and I notice I don't have the throttle response or power like normal. Once we get to the 2nd light and stopped the truck feels like its stuttering and shaking. So of course I had to eat his dust as he tore off and I limped my way home.

The truck isn't showing any DTCs and was warmed up. Oil was just changed to Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme Synthetic 5w40. Racor filters are always used. Engine has about 12-15k miles on it. ARP studs. Not leaking any coolant. Oil temp was about 190. Boost appeared to be normal but I didn't give it much juice once I noticed the issue. MPG is a bit lower than normal (down about 2-3mpg). Outside temp is about 40* F.

Here's a video of what the exhaust sounds like when I parked. It gets more pronounced at 13-14 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhXdCCFkcGs

Also I went back out and started the truck up after about 15 minutes. It would reproduce the same symptom and then stopped after I mashed the accelerator a few times. Then it came back.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Probably gunna stop by the dealership tomorrow and see what they have to say as well.

Long story short, went in to have head gaskets replaced and studs put in under warranty. When I went to pick it up it made an aweful sound. A newb tech apparently missed a nut that found it's way into the intake and destroyed cylinder #7. So they replaced the block and the head on that side. The top end however wasn't replaced. Has run fine ever since.

OldEngine-01.jpg

OldEngine-02.jpg

Hah yeah. You can see the imprint of a nut on the right of the piston head.

Mine is doing the Exact same thing. I have been chasing it down for 7 months. Good luck. Mine sounds just like yours.

Mine is doing the Exact same thing. I have been chasing it down for 7 months. Good luck. Mine sounds just like yours.

Do you experience the lack of power when it happens? It feels like it's fuel related but I'm not 100% sure.

Hey now, don't hate, I trapped at 103, that's not too bad for my fat ass girl.

And yes that's why I am building, (well mostly built by Gene), Deranged.

My 6.0l goes in and out of makin a sound like that. The last time I took it in they found a Weak injector.. It still does it, mostly when its cold though

hmm. guess i'll ride it out until it does it again. put about 30 miles on it today and the problem is gone. maybe i got a bad tank of fuel.

I'm wondering if the EGR valve isn't closing all the way, or is leaking past. Has yours ever been cleaned?

Although, the randomness of it kinda points to an electrical issue, loose connector, or bad harness. Have you plugged it into software to see what it's doing while running? I have Autoenginuity and you can look at any sensor the ECM is looking at.

Who was the guy that had the ICP sensor go bad and was leaking oil through the electrical side of the connector?

I'm wondering if the EGR valve isn't closing all the way, or is leaking past. Has yours ever been cleaned?

Although, the randomness of it kinda points to an electrical issue, loose connector, or bad harness. Have you plugged it into software to see what it's doing while running? I have Autoenginuity and you can look at any sensor the ECM is looking at.

Who was the guy that had the ICP sensor go bad and was leaking oil through the electrical side of the connector?

EGR was cleaned less than 500miles ago. Autoenginuity looks nice but I don't think I would get my moneys worth out of it.

EGR was cleaned less than 500miles ago. Autoenginuity looks nice but I don't think I would get my moneys worth out of it.

You might be right there... I have 3 other fords in the fleet, and the Lincoln LS has by far the most time logged on that software... I figured the amount you're gonna pay some garage to plug it in, and maybe read the symptoms correctly, I'd be further ahead to get the software myself and take some edumakated guesses...

Yeah when my warranty runs out and I start adding more goodies I may look into it. Thanks for informing me about it though.

It sounds like the same fuel problem im having, let me exsplian, i will get on it full throttle for a short distance let off, then try again a momment or two later, thier is little or no power, usaully until i shut it down and the restart the truck, i think it is related to the full pump motor, what full system you guys running? Maybe im reachin on this one who knows

I'm assuming you mean fuel pump not full pump. My fuel system is completely stock

Yeah FUEL, anyway stock injectors? It may be a spool valve on one or more injectors, they do tend to stick.

It could be an ipr getting stuck. Tim's truck would do that. They replaced the high pressure pump and the ipr. Then Tim had to put another IPR on it cause someone didn't use the care and ability to install it correctly, which led to the wiring being chewed by the intake bolts. But Tim has learned from this and is now the quickest FICM puller west of the mighty Mississippi. He has also found a new Ford dealer to work on his truck.

Back