help me out fellas

stivy10

first off i know im posting in the ford tech section and i drive a cummins. i know of all the shortcomings of dodge in the front end department hence why im here. ive replaced up/low ball joints, pinion gear and front wheel bearings9within 1week of each other0. knew all this would go sooner or later and after 1 mo of pinion and wheel, tie rods. looking at trading it in but unfor sure i want cummins or stroke. what kinda troubles have yall had or the ford front ends succeptible to? used search but no clear answers. thnx in advance. btw used as daily driver

my dad bought in 99 a 250 sc lb 4x4. we used dailly on the farm and did everything with the truck. it was a 6spd. he hauled cattle alot, pulled heavy wagons and did alot of farm work with it. he replaced 2 or 3 throw out bearings and a clutch. at 105K he had to replace balljoints, all tie rods and i think a wheel bearing up front..... ford ate the bill tho. it now sets on 40's and i play with it alot and still pull goosenecks... its been a damn good truck and i think it will be along for the ride for years to come!

ive had my 03 f350 since june, put almost 20K on it. bought with 120, sitting at almost 145K now. all ive done is changed the oil and replaced the tires! its been to florida and back and all over the country side. i regularly pull 30K# goosenecks almost daily and have had no troubles! i did conver it over to all synthetic right after i bought.... i slipped the tranny one time on a 15% grade with a load of roundbales(almost 33K).....operator error tho... and i run my 160HP box and drive like i stole it...... ive had 3 dodges.... ill never go back. maybe theyll build a truck around the motor and that MAY bring me back.... im gonna be on team ford for a long time.

thanx. just trying to weigh pros and cons. ive heard that ford has trouble w/ injectors and of course the 03 6.0L but never read of any troubles on any forums really, just hear say. luv the look of fords but love the cummins. guess at this point its convenience and reliability vs. availability of easy power. anyone else out there got input on common problems with strokes and what to look for when looking at a stroke? any and all help is much appreciated.

my 03 is a 7.3 thank god!!! i wont touch a 6.0 just dont feel safe lol. i do however plan on getting a 6.4 once they turn up nice an used!

7.3s have no common injector issues...all around very reliable motors but it does cost good coin to make power beyond 450 horse...the front wheel bearing/hub assembley are the only problems you will haver on the front end although I havnt had any issues in 20000 miles of owning mine...overall the 7.3 are great trucks

thank yall. i know the 7.3s are reliable as all get out but thought there might be some common issues. im a ford guy(not too much psd) but got hooked on the cummins. million mile engine surrounded by 100k mi. truck. be looking into buying a psd, any yrs i should stay away from other than 03-04 6.0? and ive noticed very few 99s for sale anything im missing?

99-99.5 7.3s come with forged rods but smaller turbo/injectors...99.5-2000 have the larger turbo and injectors along with forged rods...2001 has same turbo/injectors as previous but some come with forged while some came with pmr rods...2002-2003 7.3s are all pmr rods but share the nicer interior and most factory horsepower...2003-04 6.os are known for the most issues..05 is when they whent to coil sprung front end= better turning radius....6.0s are really hit or miss....good luck

thanx fordguy, you just up the road a ways from me. Logan Oh here. more i read the psd is looking better and better.

Back