HELP.. Milky trans fluid

blwnsmke

My truck start slamming into drive and reverse really hard today. So i pulled the dipstick and found some nice milky trans fluid. I think the heat exchanger on the side of the drivers side engine block went out.. It ties into the cooling system and the trans lines hook into it also.. Is that possible for it to go out and mix with the trans fluid? Thats the only thing that is really possible. Im glad I caught it when I did and didn't drive around for a long period with it.. The trans started slamming into gear when I put it in drive so I checked it out and the fluid was milky. How much is a heat exchanger? Anyone know?

My truck start slamming into drive and reverse really hard today. So i pulled the dipstick and found some nice milky trans fluid. I think the heat exchanger on the side of the drivers side engine block went out.. It ties into the cooling system and the trans lines hook into it also.. Is that possible for it to go out and mix with the trans fluid? Thats the only thing that is really possible. Im glad I caught it when I did and didn't drive around for a long period with it.. The trans started slamming into gear when I put it in drive so I checked it out and the fluid was milky. How much is a heat exchanger? Anyone know?

your sig says 04 with a 48re ?? shouldn't it be a 47re ? unless you swapped... or maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, that's a transmission cooler and if it has a problem I don't see where that would cause " milky " fluid. Maybe was it foamy more than milky ? That could be a sign of overfilling. I suppose if there was a restriction in the cooler that could raise the pressure causing the hard shifting.

If I were you, I'd pull the pan and see if you see anything... metal shaving, black gunk. If so, there may be a piece of something causing restriction.

Just some thoughts

your sig says 04 with a 48re ?? shouldn't it be a 47re ? unless you swapped... or maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, that's a transmission cooler and if it has a problem I don't see where that would cause " milky " fluid. Maybe was it foamy more than milky ? That could be a sign of overfilling. I suppose if there was a restriction in the cooler that could raise the pressure causing the hard shifting.

If I were you, I'd pull the pan and see if you see anything... metal shaving, black gunk. If so, there may be a piece of something causing restriction.

Just some thoughts

04 had both 47 and 48re. I have a 48re. That is a transmission cooler on the side of the engine block correct? It has both coolant lines hooked to it and the transmission lines hooked to it. If something on the inside of the cooler breaks or something then both coolant and trans fluid will mix together which will cause the pink milkly fluid.. If you go look at it then it has the coolant line off the head that runs into the firewall to the heater core, well it also runs over to that cooler to. Guess thats how the transmission fluid stays cool also from the coolant.

Almost sounds like you got water in the fluid somehow.

exactly.. that cooler on the side of the engine block has coolant lines hooked to it and the trans line hooks to it also.. I think it went out and now Im getting coolant/fluid in my trans..

mines an 07 so I can't say they're the same but, it's a trans cooler only and has transmission fluid running through it. there's no reason for a line from the heater core to go to a trans cooler.

The line you see going into the fire wall should be going to the condenser core ( in front of the radiator )

edit : you're right, I just ent and looked and the wives stock 07. The lines come out of the trans cooler and go to the condensor at the front of the truck. Don't understand that but, that's the way it is.

Last edited:
What's on the block is called a cooler. There's also a ( condenser ( cooler ) behind the radiator. The lines come out of the trans, to the front of the truck into the condenser ( cooler ) then back to the ( block ) mounted cooler out to the trans.

There is no mixing of coolant and trans fluid. There's many rubber o-rings and plastic parts in the trans that coould have come apart to cause a blockage. Reason for pulling the pan !

TA06085.gif

Your correct about the two coolers. Theres one up front by the radiator and theres one on the side of the motor. If you look closely on the one on the side of the motor or at least on mine. The hot line(trans line) hooks to that cooler and then the other trans line runs to the front of the truck. Well on the cooler on the side of the block there is also another line coming off it. Its the black metal line that runs from the passenger side of the motor off the firewall and runs across the back of the head and hooks into that cooler on the side of the block. So that cooler has both coolant and trans fluid running through it. So Im thinking just like the old coolers that use to be mounted in the radiators of vehicles. When they bust it mixs.. I dropped the pan and drained it! TON OF WATER/COOLANT in the pan!!

Im not sure if your wifes truck is the same. But go look under the truck and look at the cooler. Look at the top of it. You will see that other line on it. Follow it and see where it runs.

I tried to get a good look at her truck but, it's raining so I didn't want to lay on the ground... I'll take your word for it :)

I learned a little something here myself. I didn't realize the two had anything to do with either other. My cooler was recently leaking but, it was only a line that came loose.

My plan was to eliminate it and go with a bigger, relocated cooler but, now... looks like I'll have to do a little more research. I figured I'd have 2 lines to remove and reattach.

glad you figure it out.

Sounds like that's the culprit since the heat exchanger is the only place those two fluids could potentially mix. I used to have a spare laying around here that I bought off ebay for $25. Let me know if you want it.

Do yall think Ill be fine if I trailer the truck to a shop and have them hook that flush machine to my truck and powerflush the trans?? Maybe 2 times if ness..

Depends on how much wear the bushings took when it started leaking. I'd recommend testing hte pressures to make sure they're still in spec.

Well Im almost positive I caught it when It happen. I cranked it up and it shiftin into drive harder then normal. I drove to the end of the drive way and stopped and got out and checked it.. So I think Im safe.. I HOPE

Like Brandon said, the tranny cooler is the only possible mixing spot. A quick pressure test of it should verify that, though. I would flush the coolant system, too, since you likely have the coolant/tranny fluid mix there, too.

Back