Help out a new guy in the P7100 world.. GSK

bnold

Cummins. What else?
Ok so I got the P7100 installed and running...
Having a few issues to get worked out, but overall she it running good..

I installed a 4 GSK kit before I installed the pump in the truck, did the measuring as stated in the instructions that came with Haisley's kit.. kept the protrusion within a hundredth or so of stock..

Anyways My RPMs are a bit slow to come down when I let off the fuel.. and they slow down a bit more around 1250 RPM before finally settling down to a 800RPM idle... I was told that I may need to back off the adjuster nuts a click.
Is that the general consensus?

To be sure I removed the right things which of the following washers and shims were supposed to be removed from this pic I stole from another thread! :D

GSK.jpg

I also have a bit of an idle lope that I need to rid myself of... DONT LIKE THE LOPE! :D I had the holders opened to .084 and .084 lines.. The crossovers had the restrictor thingy machined out as well... I'm guessing my lope issue lies somewhere in the larger stuff... Going to try and find a set of stock cross over tubes to try.. Any other ideas??

Thanks

All the shims and washers come out.

I'd back off a click. Most people set them up by clicks, not protrusion.

Clicks. go back, go 1 soft 2 hard tighten till they hang back off 1 click do not be shy to adjust idle if need be.
Brandon

If you know you've got the same amount of clicks on both sides then back both sides off one click. I've had 4k gsks at one initiation plus 3 hard clicks and one initiation plus 2 hard clicks and think I liked 2 clicks better.

Idle lope, ha, good luck getting rid of it! I've had it with pretty much everything i've put a gsk in! Once you change the fueling from stock in these trucks especially if you go decently big you can expect it in my opinion. Some people may tell you otherwise but in my experience it's their definition of "smoothness" that makes the difference not the truck lol:p

If you know you've got the same amount of clicks on both sides then back both sides off one click. I've had 4k gsks at one initiation plus 3 hard clicks and one initiation plus 2 hard clicks and think I liked 2 clicks better.

Idle lope, ha, good luck getting rid of it! I've had it with pretty much everything i've put a gsk in! Once you change the fueling from stock in these trucks especially if you go decently big you can expect it in my opinion. Some people may tell you otherwise but in my experience it's their definition of "smoothness" that makes the difference not the truck lol:p

I dont remember pulling the flat washer looking shim out of there.. I'll go ahead and pull that out and then back off the springs a click and see where that gets me..

Man I hope I can get the idle lope at least toned down a lot! It shakes the whole damn truck! :(

My trucks don't lope...one with a 3K spring, one with CDS 5K's...both sound perfect;)

However, I've never run 4K's, but most I've heard had trouble getting them to act right!

Chris

Gotcha. I didn't have any lope with 3ks, 4ks I did though and the 5ks I still do, all in non-benched pump. Hey, I could be screwing something up though but don't see how given a click is a click.

I have had another set of springs that were a PITA, never idled right, hung wide open, etc...but I'm pretty sure that pump never saw a bench like it was supposed to either. I haven't tried them again yet.

I've had a couple pumps that it was hard to tell where the first real click was...those were a little harder to tune in.

Chris

I have had another set of springs that were a PITA, never idled right, hung wide open, etc...but I'm pretty sure that pump never saw a bench like it was supposed to either. I haven't tried them again yet.

I've had a couple pumps that it was hard to tell where the first real click was...those were a little harder to tune in.

Chris

Hell with the size of them hands u probly cant feel to much sensitivity in them anyhow, I am calling the fab guy today and will be in contact with u soon.
Brandon

Thanks.

Not really...I'm the guy that should be on a torque wrench, not doing delicate things:D
Chris

This pump was balanced on a bench, but that was before the 4k kit...
I'm going to remove the flat washer looking thing and then do the soft click 2 hard click deal...
Also just about to buy a set of stock connector tubes to try and chase down my lope

Well I have an update... I talked to a couple people and they told me to leave the large idle spring shim in place... So I tried that first and backed off each of the adjuster nuts a click...

Result.. slow to drop RPMs are FIXED!! Works great now! RPMs at idle were about 750 and still had a bit more lope than I liked, so I adjusted it to 800 and so far she is purring dang near perfect...

Will post back if something changes, but I am a very happy camper the way she is running now... Just need to get that new plate in!

Back