Help Please! maybe pump runaway

talonkid119

Not Enough
Well i just finished installing a new firering head and injection pump on my truck. The truck runs good and idles fine for about 20 seconds then the idle climbs to 2500 and holds. I pulled the throttle linkage off so i know it wasnt moving the gov at all. It is a 12mm pump that jeff garmond built, and someone else ran it before i bought it. Do you think there is too much gov spring adjustment? Im running a duel feed 8an lines to the pump also.

thanks,
Mike

I would say loosen gov springs a little, or reset them. They may not be adjusted the same.

Back the gov. springs off 2 clicks and try it again I had the same problem a few months back and this took care of it if 2 clicks isnt enough go another 1 click til its fine.

I ended up taking one click off at a time. I had to take off about 6 clicks on each side, now the stud is pretty much flush with the retainer nut. Is this ok to run like this or is there a chance the retainer nut could back itself off? If i go one click tighter the pump will run away to 1200 or so.

thanks,
Mike

I will measure it when i get home but i think it is more like .020-.030" that i have now. I didnt have any calipers with me at the time. I will measure it tonight, but like i said the shaft is pretty much flush with the nut, so there is not too much clearance. Would there be any threat to run it at .020-.030? The spring that are in there are jeff garmon hold me beer springs.

thanks,
Mike

The main thing is to get them to where the rpm's don't hang anywhere, and that it idles good.

as long as your at least one click past the "soft click" you should be fine, and shouldn't have to worry about them backing off.

the question is why were there so many clicks on them to begin with? :confused:

I was wondering same thing. I guess the pump only had about 1000 miles on it since jeff garmon went through it. When i got the pump the idle screw was also all the way down. maybe someone inbetween messed with the pump idk. The thing is the truck would run great when it was cold for about 2 mins idling at 750rpms and then slowly creep up to 2500rpms.

Forrest do you think i will be fine with it backed all the way off where the shaft is flush with the retainer nut? I just worry i dont want to mess something up. I got the truck where it stoped running away now.

-Mike

how many clicks past the soft click is that? I would back it all the way off and start from the begining and see how many clicks gets you the current protrusion... if it's at least past the soft click, I think you're good to go

what gov springs are in it? 4k? 5k?

how many clicks past the soft click is that? I would back it all the way off and start from the begining and see how many clicks gets you the current protrusion... if it's at least past the soft click, I think you're good to go

what gov springs are in it? 4k? 5k?

hold my beer springs.

what does it rev to where its set right now? my haisley 5k did that to me. though i sold them and i believe they are working fine for the new owner.

Garrett

Well i backed them all the way off tonight. When i adjust it to one click hard i cannot get the truck to idle. I keep adjusting the idle screw and it either idles at 400rmps if i bump it up a little bit it will jump up to 1200-1300rpms.

The truck is fueling hard past 4000rpms now. Do you think i should buy some different gov springs?

The idle screw has a groove worn in it. Take the idle screw out and use a wiz wheel to polish it smooth, then thread it back in and readjust the idle.

Back