Help with code

cumminspuller

diesel junky
I need some help. My father has a 07 6.7 deleted with a smarty jr. Yesterday afternoon the truck decided to die out of the blue. I checked it when I got home from work last night. I hooked the smarty up and it pulls up a P0488. After doing some searching on this I can't seem to find much. My question is why is this coming up? I can clear the code and the truck start and engine light go off but it will come back on it about a minute of run time. The truck made it down the road two miles this morning before dying again. It started back up and got off of the road but died again a few minutes later. The truck has been deleted for almost 2 years. He has had problems a couple of times with the truck wanting to die and messages coming on the overhead console. Most of the time says DPF full please see dealer. I can reboot the smarty and it's good for a couple of months. If anyone has any ideas of what I need to do to fix this let me know please.

Thanks
Chris

I have one of the first 07s that came out in a C&C, when I deleted it with a smarty I could never get it too work right. It would throw a code and go to half power. I then bought an XRT and it has been fine ever since. Of course this was before the $1200 price tag.

P0488 DTC is a EGR Airflow control valve circuit performance code. The most likely cause of this code is the EGR air flow valve is sticking. One easy way to check the valve is to remove the air intake hose from the throttle valve and take a mirror and place it under the air intake at the throttle valve and have someone turn the key from the off position to the on position (dont start the engine) and then back to the off position while you watch the trottle plate with the mirror. You should see the throttle plate move from the open position to the closed position and then back to the open position at key off. This should be a smooth transition with no binding or stoppage of the throttle plate. Every time the key is turned to the on position the throttle plate will cycle from the open position to the closed position as a performance check of the throttle valve. The normal default position of the throttle valve is the open position.

Sometimes if the throttle plate is sticking we can pull the EGR Airflow Control valve off and clean the throttle plate and reinstall and repair this condition, But most of the time we end up replacing the EGR Airflow Control Valve.

Thanks a lot guys for the help. I'm going to try and update the Smarty today and will try and check the valve tonight also. Is the EGR Airflow valve a must have thing? I can't see where it is with everything being deleted but maybe I'm missing something???

Well I finally got the Smarty updated last night. Drove the truck around for about ten minutes and no engine light or dying problem. Got the truck out this morning to hook up to the trailer and go to work. Engine light came back on again. I guess I'll look at the airflow valve and pull it off and try cleaning itnext and see if that does the trick.

Back