Help with V band clamp

blwnsmke

My buddy put egr delete on his 6.0L and he was putting it all back together. The v band clamp that goes on the manifold on the back of the turbo is leaking.. The t part of the bolt is slipping out of the clamp before he can really get it bottomed out and tight.. Does that clamp have to be super tight and bottomed out for it not to leak? It was a pain in the butt getting the flanges to line up right also but we got the manifold flange to line up nice and tight on the turbo. So my question is does the v band clamp have to be bottomed out tight for it not to leak?

You can over tighten them, making the situation worse. I stripped out the part that held the T once, and it just spun.

I tried to tighten mine too much and the bolt broke. I found a bolt that would work and just snugged it up and I haven't had the first issue.

BTW - If you break the bolt, you can usually get a replacement at a pool store from a pool filter band clamp for next to nothing... if not free.

His problem is that he over tightened it once I think and jacked the part that holds the t in place and now he can barely get it tight.. so its leaking bad!!

Back