heres a different question

Signal 73

#2 is #1
does anyone know the thread pitch for a coolant temp sender?:pop:

Thanks, Jim

Can I guess? 3/4" NPT right?

12 VALVE EDIT- I remember buying a 1/2" NPT 45* fitting for the heater hose fitting right beside it the temp sensor in the head. I believe it is 1/2" NPT.

well whats going on is I need to make an adapter to put a 24V sender in a 12V head and need to get a tap. I guess I will bring the sender to the hardware store and try to compare thread. will try the 1/2 npt first.

I think you may be right... I was thinking IAT sensor on the rear of the head when I first posted.

You have got to be kidding me right? Why don't you just buy a bushing to convert over ? Its all pipe thread.

Signal 73 said:
mucho different unfortunately.

If you didn't convert it over could you just cut the wires on the harness of lets say a 24v motor and wire it up to a 12v coolant sensor?

I'm glad you asking these questions so I don't have too! Got your back, not everybody knows everything.

I'm sure in our conversions we will run into a few things that are odd to us.

How many people have done a 24V truck to a 12V?

Jim

Jim Fulmer said:
I'm glad you asking these questions so I don't have too! Got your back, not everybody knows everything.

Jim

Yup I almost have got all my parts together, Not to many people that I know, lot of p pumped trucks though. I'll fill you in if I come acrost anything and vice versa:poke:

dzlfarmboy said:
If you didn't convert it over could you just cut the wires on the harness of lets say a 24v motor and wire it up to a 12v coolant sensor?
ive found that the 24 valve uses 2 wires for the sender up twards the alternator end of the harness, where the 12V uses the 1 pin sender twards the back of the head. I couldnt find a bushing like a prev poster mentioned so i was going to make my own out of the factory 12V sender. its brass, looks easy enough.

not everybody knows everything.
thats for sureLOL
Jim I was looking over on TDR in the conversion forum there and there were 3 or 4 threads on it. some guys used the 98 12 valve wiring harness so things were a little more plug and play with the newer style dash,tps, shutdown solenoid, etc. I figure I got half the battle over with the harness since the truck I have was formerly p-pumped. Im waiting on some stuff to come back from the powdercoater then its engine assembly time and hope to get it in and running after that. when I get it back from the coater I will get some pics of the tach pickup in the timing case. also ill get ya a pic of the tone ring on the cam gear for ya.
Jim

Last edited:
Signal 73 said:
ive found that the 24 valve uses 2 wires for the sender up twards the alternator end of the harness, where the 12V uses the 1 pin sender twards the back of the head. I couldnt find a bushing like a prev poster mentioned so i was going to make my own out of the factory 12V sender. its brass, looks easy enough.

thats for sureLOL
Jim I was looking over on TDR in the conversion forum there and there were 3 or 4 threads on it. some guys used the 98 12 valve wiring harness so things were a little more plug and play with the newer style dash,tps, shutdown solenoid, etc. I figure I got half the battle over with the harness since the truck I have was formerly p-pumped. Im waiting on some stuff to come back from the powdercoater then its engine assembly time and hope to get it in and running after that. when I get it back from the coater I will get some pics of the tach pickup in the timing case. also ill get ya a pic of the tone ring on the cam gear for ya.
Jim

what year 24v was in your truck? You get the cam sensor block from Haisley's to grind out the hole in the right spot to read the tone ring?

01. yes the case had to be ground a little for the pickup to be in the right spot.

Signal 73 said:
01. yes the case had to be ground a little for the pickup to be in the right spot.

Yup same here 01 your and auto or stick. I need to figure out what 12v linkage I need for the throttle from the pump to the pedal yet, and pick up and new 12v coolant hose that runs over the top

its an auto im working with. lucky for me that was taken care of cause of the p=pump conversion. I will try to get some pics of how the linkages are done.

Signal 73 said:
its an auto im working with. lucky for me that was taken care of cause of the p=pump conversion. I will try to get some pics of how the linkages are done.

Cool thanks, how is your TPS/kickdown cable riged up with your 24v stuff modified to mount on the p pump

Jim Fulmer said:

Jim
24V to 12V.....Yea I have. Thats why I'm totally lost as to the problem.

dzlfarmboy said:
Cool thanks, how is your TPS/kickdown cable riged up with your 24v stuff modified to mount on the p pump
I havent taken a real good look at it but it would appear as it is the same as if it were on a 12V truck.

Back