Hertz Sub and cold weather?

Tan70

Hey guys..

Ill be leaving my truck parked for awhile in some pretty cold weather.. Im guessing somewhere in the range of (-25 - 30) degrees...

Im just wondering if my subwoofer will be fine in this weather or if the foam/mag. will break/tear/rip/crack...

The sub will not be played, just left in the truck..

Thanks.

yes it will be fine, I have had competition audiobahn subs in my vehicles for 10 years in pa, and never had them in a garage so they have seen very cold temps and have been used at very cold temps.

Last edited:
Just play them easy when you drive it to warm up the motor and loosen up the suspension and surround. Ten minutes usually loosens everything up.

PS...competition Audiobahn? That's funny. Are they the cool chrome ones with flames stamped into the basket ? LOL

Ill be gone for about 4 months...Will.

yea i already let them warm up before i use them.i was just wondering if it would be ok left alone in the truck for that long in those temps.

I am deploying soon... that's why it will be left alone and cold.

Just play them easy when you drive it to warm up the motor and loosen up the suspension and surround. Ten minutes usually loosens everything up.

PS...competition Audiobahn? That's funny. Are they the cool chrome ones with flames stamped into the basket ? LOL

They do have flames cast, but I bought these when audibahn meant something not the newer junky ones they sell at chain stores. Mine are rated for 1k watts rms and have gotten me 142 db at a db drag racing event. Most likely one of the loudest set of 10s you will ever hear. mostly bc people dont run big 10s but I promise these arent the best buy junk these are 10" wonders.

With these and my audiobahn amp (1600 watts rms) I melted down my 110 amp ammeter. It actually caught on fire when I was tuning the set up

Last edited:
Hell my single 10W7 has done 130's in a small sealed enclosure.
There's guys doing 140's with single 8's in ported enclosures nowadays.

I live those temps in the winter here,, as was mentioned, when you get back and go to use them, just let them warm up completely... otherwise nothing will be hurt,, make sure the sun dosent get to them though

Hell my single 10W7 has done 130's in a small sealed enclosure.
There's guys doing 140's with single 8's in ported enclosures nowadays.

i would like to see that. my subs are over 10 years old, they were some of the best 10s I could find at the time. and there is a massive difference between 130db and 140db. I know there are better subs now, but at the time they were very good, and they are still better than most. This was when 1ohm stable digital amps were just coming on the market, now they have .5ohm stable.

Last edited:
14 years ago, I did 144db in my 1993 Jeep XJ with two 12" Phoenix golds Ported with 18" worth of tubing per sub. I forgot the exact wattage. Kenwood PS400m. 2 ohm maybe? I still run the PS400M in my truck for my 10's under the seat. :) IIRC, it's wired down to 1ohm

130 in a SQ system in a 1.25ft^3 sealed enclosure is fine with me. That sub in a ported enclosure will do 150's all day long. I've heard of some outlaw 160's but never seen proof

I lied...Sundown SA8....150+ Outlaw style.
One 8

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoxfFsid3qs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoxfFsid3qs[/ame]

Last edited:
I don't worry about SPL in mine...that's not why I built it. I use a W7 because it can and will get loud when I want it to....but it's a great SQ sub also. I had a 10W6 and it just didn't dig deep enough when I felt like being stupid.

That's what I figured. My Jeep system was all around for noise and still hit that high. For the wattage, it sure made a lot of noise.

I need to redo the system in my truck. Might start with the sub amp and give that an upgrade some day.

Back