Hey I just want to let everyone know I've decided to try to justify doing what I want

STROKETHISF350

A few weeks ago I did a launch on the street and and soon as I hit 2nd and locked the converter there was a Big Bang and some kind of knock so I pulled over checked everything and limped it home, The next day I went out to start the truck and it was missing and had tons of white smoke but once it warmed up a little the smoke went away, while driving down the road I can hear a loud fuel knock so I hooded up efi live and found injectors 5&6 balance rates were way off.
Being that the injectors Only have 4000 miles on them I called the place I bought them from and the said to send them in. A couple weeks later I got them back and was told the tested fine and are still balanced within spec so I installed them in the truck and I'm still having the same issue except of coarse the balance rates are different.
I tried an injector kill test and the engine sound doesn't change when I shut off # 2 but with all the others the miss gets worse. So my question is where do I got from here and I idea what could be wrong ? I'm assuming a dead hole but damn that was fast it ran perfect the whole day until I launched it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would do a compression test and or swap those injectors into different cylinders and see if the problem follows the injectors.

Out of curiosity what injectors are they and who tested them?

I would do a compression test and or swap those injectors into different cylinders and see if the problem follows the injectors.

Out of curiosity what injectors are they and who tested them?

Fleece injectors, not sure who they have test them. I found out that # 2 injector acts better when the engine is warm but when cold and j shut the injector off there is no or hardly any change in the engine sound

Could this cause the smoke I'm seeing on cold start up and the fuel knock sound? The head was completely redone 4K miles ago

Did you lock up right at the top of second with low rpm's? Can be a few things as a bent rod or rods which would be my first guess causing much lower compression and leave unburnt fuel. But can also, broke ring, rings or even bent push rods. Look closely for any evidence of raw fuel leaking around exhaust manifold or turbine housings? Pull a turbo cartridge if that easier to get a quick look. I hope for your sake I'm wrong just giving you some idea's to look for.

White smoke unburnt fuel! Do the compression test. I assume you adjusted the valves after putting the injectors back in. Any way out of adjustment?

Did you lock up right at the top of second with low rpm's? Can be a few things as a bent rod or rods which would be my first guess causing much lower compression and leave unburnt fuel. But can also, broke ring, rings or even bent push rods. Look closely for any evidence of raw fuel leaking around exhaust manifold or turbine housings? Pull a turbo cartridge if that easier to get a quick look. I hope for your sake I'm wrong just giving you some idea's to look for.

I believe it locked mid rpm in 2nd probly around 2-2500 , in not pushing a ton of power so idk about connecting rods being bent but it's a good possibility a push rod could be it weird that it changes with engine temp I will look for fuel in or around exhaust

White smoke unburnt fuel! Do the compression test. I assume you adjusted the valves after putting the injectors back in. Any way out of adjustment?

It's most definitely raw fuel it burns your eyes and throat just looking at it at an idle lol I did check the valve lash after re installing the injectors, none were really loose a few were a little tight. I wish it could be as easy as a bent push rod but I highly doubt it. I have access to everything I need to do the compression test so I might have to give that a shot

Have you switched locations of the #2 injector to another place yet? Sounds like a bent pushrod or maybe you lost a tip on a rocker. Check the pushrods when you are doing the compression test, if they look good and the test comes up good pull the pushrods and roll them on a table to see if they are all straight still.

Have you switched locations of the #2 injector to another place yet? Sounds like a bent pushrod or maybe you lost a tip on a rocker. Check the pushrods when you are doing the compression test, if they look good and the test comes up good pull the pushrods and roll them on a table to see if they are all straight still.

I have not tried switching injectors yet I figure that would be a good start to see if it's possibly the injector but I doubt it . I didn't notice anything abnormal when I was re lashing the valves but I will for sure check all the rockers and push rods. Hoping this is an easier fix I was really looking forward to driving it as a single wheel truck since I converted it while the injectors were sent out

If you do not find anything with the hard parts, check the wiring, never know, it might have a bad wire or connector, when it is hot it swells and makes a good connection. I had an erratic miss once, was the top of the injector screw that the wire connects to had deformed somehow and wasn't making a good connection anymore.

If you do not find anything with the hard parts, check the wiring, never know, it might have a bad wire or connector, when it is hot it swells and makes a good connection. I had an erratic miss once, was the top of the injector screw that the wire connects to had deformed somehow and wasn't making a good connection anymore.

Looks like I'll be busy trying to figure this one, when it rain it pours lol

"soon as I hit 2nd and locked the converter there was a Big Bang and some kind of knock "
Now you have no change when#2 is shut down. You had the injectors tested and they were good so focus on that cylinder. As a side note loud bangs when locking the converter is usually a snapped input shaft but since it still drives that may be a twisted shaft. The white smoke is a sign of unburnt fuel. These motors are great at compensating for a bad cylinder to the point of not really noticing it! Have you run it with the valve cover off and watched #2 rockers? sad but I think a tear down is in order just to see what happened!

"soon as I hit 2nd and locked the converter there was a Big Bang and some kind of knock "

Now you have no change when#2 is shut down. You had the injectors tested and they were good so focus on that cylinder. As a side note loud bangs when locking the converter is usually a snapped input shaft but since it still drives that may be a twisted shaft. The white smoke is a sign of unburnt fuel. These motors are great at compensating for a bad cylinder to the point of not really noticing it! Have you run it with the valve cover off and watched #2 rockers? sad but I think a tear down is in order just to see what happened!

I Just tried switching # 2 injector with #1 and still no difference when I shut off number 2 so it's defiantly something there that is causing me problems. I also looked at both push rods and they seem to look straight as far as I can tell along with inspecting the rockers. As far as the trans goes no problems there, it has all billet oversized shafts so I don't think I can break it that easy as I wasn't in 4wd when I launched it .
I guess a bang was not the right word to use it sounded more like a violent fuel knock . I havnt ran it with the valve cover off I guess I Could try that to see if anything looks abnormal .

If it didn't change when you shut off #2 and switched injectors then there is the problem. Check the wiring, pull the injector and check inside with a borescope. If you have already verified the pushrods and rockers are OK then it is either wiring or a hard part internally. If both of the above show no odd signs check piston height, might have bent a rod.

Back