High EGT's

chriswelters

Just a kid
I'm experiencing high egts under full throttle in my 04 super duty. I have an SCT looney, 4 inch straight exhaust, afe intake, 37 inch tires, stock gears. I wasnt watching one time under full throttle and my buddy in the back seat was reading off the numbers for the egt and i wasn't listening to him and they reached 1800 after hitting overdrive. My transmision gauge its at around 155 when warmed up. I need some help.

tranny temps are fine, EGTs seem fine as long as that's on full throttle pass just don't hold it there too long and you'll be fine. Or you could do and intercooler, water injection, or upgrade your turbo I hear the non VGT really helps cool things off.

Gears will help lower it some.

I think mine dropped 200* or so when I did 4.56s, but I'm running 38s.

1800 before turbo? (I hope)

Are you concerned about the tranny temps for some reason? Like stated before me, 155 is great. Normal factory temps run in the 180-190 range from recent recollection.

An intercooler will make you very happy if you want to lower your EGTs. Great bang for the buck IMO. Are you having problems since pushing it that hard or just wanting to avoid future peaks like that?

The 6.0 stock intercooler is pretty good for stock, and I would be shocked if you see more than 100* drop with the spearco or the banks. I have ran both and the banks in my opinion is a better intercooler. My spearco had leaks the day I put it in, and after they let a blind man reweld it I sold it on ebay. You need to have your tuner do some work with you to get those #'s lower, because you will destroy that engine running temps that high. Almost hard to believe the gauge is accurate, getting temps that high with stock injectors.

where is the pyro probe located?

the IC wont do much of anything..I dint see a huge drop from mine..

1800 is pretty warm like don said for stock sticks..

The EGT probe is after the up pipe towards the turbo. I put the for just another variable. I just don't want to wreck my engine to bad...hahaha I gave DJ a call and hes pretty hard to get ahold of.

be sure its not right at the exhaust port..if it is..that would explain alot

I'm not even gonna throw the pre/post turbo argument back into the ring... Seems the measurements are kinda arbitrary at best based on the location and orientation of the probe in the pipe. Is there any chance the meter or probe is out of calibration, like do you have another you can check it against? Weirder things have happened...

So where my probe is located what should the numbers be for maximum degrees? I do not have another probe to do a test.

I was thinking more about the meter itself, if it's off in calibration. Are there any splices in the thermocouple wire?

1800s pretty warm

it's a tad warm no doubt, but nothing to worry too much about if it's for short bursts... the 6.0 is more tolerant to EGT's than most people realize..

i've had mine at the 2000* mark on more occasions than i can count, and 1500-1800 was a daily thing just driving to work when i had my VGT unit, even with my VGTSS, however i think my old injectors were to blame also,

BUT I AGREE with the gears for sure !! i'm only running 35's right now and i'll be doing gears to help with EGT's .. it's the load on the engine that makes the biggest impact on EGT's with these PSD's.. i know people say EGT"s climb relative to RPM's, but it's just not so on the PSD's.. if you drop down a gear and pull the same speed at a higher RPM, you will see your EGT's drop, and the gears will help enormously for sure..

if you get a NONVVT, get a smaller turbine housing for quiker spool up and this will help with EGT's , you need the boost and airflow to lean out the burn and drop the temps. water/meth is also good..

i got the large turbine housing and at low rpms the egts can get up there due to no boost until it spools, however once it's spooled, NO problems.. on the highway at full throttle with 200cc sticks at 46+Psi the egt's don't go over about 1400max, and i've run my motor at 1400* for extended periods with no damage..

to sum it up... get a true 4" downpipe like silverline this helps
gears
water/meth

there are no splices in the wire. Its been reading the same out of the box. Thanks SinCityDiesel for the info.

Make sure the screw that wedges the probe tight is not to tight mine was and had to back the allen screw out a little.

what does making it to tight do? I looked at it and there is black soot around it from air leaking out.

Back