High idle after replacing bell crank ass.

skav

I just replaced my bell crank assembly because the truck had a flat spot in the pedal where it would act like the fuel shut off. It was also jumpy with throttle input.

Before I replaced it, the truck would idle around 800 in park. Now it idles at 1000-1100 in park. It drops to 800 in gear and acts normal while driving. It will hunt/surge a bit idling in gear too.

What's the best way to drop the idle with the new bell crank assembly installed. I see the stops, but know that the APPS is calibrated where it's at, and don't want to screw it up.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Sean

Here is a link to the calibration procedure if you haven't already seen it.

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2331373&postcount=13

Don't set to right at the tag voltage...
Corrected article... This will keep the high idle mod and exhaust brake functions working. Setting to the tag voltage will disable the IVS switch most likely and create problems with these other options.

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/26-engine-systems/37-apps-sensor-voltage-adjustment

WTH? Never heard of that other stuff. I set mine to the tag and never had any issues with factory high idle. But mine was a stick with no exh brake.

After getting a lesson from Timbo and playing with the OE APPS I figured out the value has to be BELOW the tag value. I've got both High Idle and Exhaust brake and remember the electronics in the APPS will degrade over time and the value might go up or it might go down. Once again causing issues with both options. Hence why Timbo APPS is so much better there is no electronics and no voltage to set. All the voltage set does is toggle the IVS (Idle validation switches) to ground either Idle or Throttling pin and the ECM changes software to the required state. Idling software ignores the APPS sensor and throttling follows the APPS voltage. So if it happen to slip over the tag voltage then it will be in throttling mode and some report a slightly high idle.

Yeah I've done my homework...

Back