Higher Milage TDIs?

blackcoal

Looking into one of these cars. Looking at the 99- to like 02, 03 body style in the 5 speed manual.

How do these things hold up at higher milage? like 250,000+

What are things to check for on these cars? I know the common timming belt. But how about the engine? suspension, injectors, injector pump, turbo, trans? How do these cars hold up at high milage if there well maintaned?

My 99.5 Golf 5-speed is holding up great so far. It's only got 170k on it and still stock. Just timing belt. I've been
Running B100 for last 15k and it loves it. I'm looking to chip it and get some 520 nozzles whenever the clutch goes. I hear it makes a big difference in power and economy.

From what I hear the 02-03 can have cam issues, but other than that, just stay on top of the oil and timing belt.

Misspelling courtesy of my fat fingers...

The dual mass clutch should be checked out on the test drive, depending on where the car is from look for rust. Injectors will start to act up around 200k or so.

With 256k on the clock now, mine still has the original brakes, struts and ball joints. Everything seems to be good and tight still, though I think I might have to put brakes on next year. Injection pump seals will tend to leak over time, not hard to fix, just time consuming and it ALWAYS happens at the worst time! Your biggest worry will be electrical stuff, I have two nag worthy issues with mine that aren't quite bad enough to fix just yet, but I have fixed several others.

I just bought my 02 Jetta w/ 298K about a year ago. Apparently it has new slightly larger injectors & the pump has been rebuilt. Consumes zero oil. Just did brakes in summer. Otherwise, it's believed to be stock & runs out nicely. It sure doesn't get 50+ mpg like everyone claims these cars get but I'm ok w/ the 40-42 that it does get.

It'll turbo limp occasionally so I think the actuator (I think) may need replaced.

I'm told the vacuum hoses should be replaced about every 100k, along w/ the timing belt. I've got another 17k miles before I'll change my timing belt.

Been meaning to do trans, brake & coolant flushes as I don't think they've ever been done? Just fig it couldn't hurt. :)

Although mine is a 98 (older body style) I purchased mine 203K on it from a CompD member. Its need some TLC along the ways...starter, brakes, wheel bearings, water hoses, injection pump seals.

I've fine tuned it since taking possession, on the ride home from NY it only got 35mpg and had a constant haze going down the road.

It has 20HP injectors, I added a 20HP computer chip to do an EGR delete, completely straight piped it, switched to Amsoil oil & fuel additive and advanced the timing and I get 44-47mpg depending on driving conditions. I've had it two years halloween weekend, put 33,000 miles on it, and I paid $1200 for it. :rockwoot:

I want a early 2000 Passat Wagon for my next one! LOL

Last edited:
I've got 388k on my 00 Jetta. New ball joints, sway bar bushings, cv shafts, single mass flywheel/clutch, etc have been replaced around 300k. Still on the original turbo. Its a manual trans, which failed at 388k. The overdrive gear, and splined shaft for the gear failed, which I understand is a relatively common problem on higher mileage cars that dont see enough fluid changes. The first symptoms of it showed up when it was hard to shift out of 5th gear when coasting to a stop.

The car is still quiet, tight, smooth and runs excellent for the miles on it. Zero electrical issues. I wouldn't be without one ever again.

Okay thanks for the replys guy.

When your doing a timming belt is there any certain brand thats better?

Does adding power to these thing kill the milage? I wouldnt think a chip would, but bigger injectors?

Bought my 01 Golf with 248k now has almost 280 on it. Would drive this thing from coast to coast if I need to. Just took it down to chicago not to long ago and doing 85mph got 53mpg out of her.

Things that I have had to replace
Brakes
Dual Mass flywheel came apart
Alt
A/C compressor. (did the AC delete as AC never worked)

Has a few small issues but nothing major.

Okay thanks for the replys guy.

When your doing a timming belt is there any certain brand thats better?

Does adding power to these thing kill the milage? I wouldnt think a chip would, but bigger injectors?

Go with an 80k rated belt, dieselgeek.com sells a kit that is very good. You want too replace a few other things while you are in there as they are a pain to get to. As best I remember it contains an accessory belt, timing belt, water pump, belt idler and tensioner. If you need the timing tools gimme a shout, I have all of them needed.

Adding power CAN kill mileage, if you drive it hard. A proper tune can increase mileage, even a bigger injectors can as well. Then again, they can kill mileage if you drive it hard.

I tuned a golf with the largest available nozzles and he can get both his best and his worst tank mileage out of it, both without much trouble :ft:

Go with an 80k rated belt, dieselgeek.com sells a kit that is very good. You want too replace a few other things while you are in there as they are a pain to get to. As best I remember it contains an accessory belt, timing belt, water pump, belt idler and tensioner. If you need the timing tools gimme a shout, I have all of them needed.

alright i might have to hit you up on that one

how do you check out these dual mass flywheels when you drive them?

How do you guys still have original brakes on the cars? I am halfway through the second known set on my 06 and it has 148xxx on it currently. That being said, I typically am hard on brakes, my truck is getting its fourth set on it at 87k and I have owned it since new.

Most TDI owners are driving for mileage and they coast down as much as possible rather than braking hard. I have seen original brakes on a 180k car before.

Well I am clearly not most then. While the mileage is great with the car, it can also stop great, and I take full advantage of that, lol.

How do you guys still have original brakes on the cars? I am halfway through the second known set on my 06 and it has 148xxx on it currently. That being said, I typically am hard on brakes, my truck is getting its fourth set on it at 87k and I have owned it since new.

You need an exhaust brake on that thing! LOL

hi,
i have a 96 audi a4 with 268k and still going well. Its afn engine.
I have fixed a few of these engines that where building pressure and blowing it out the bottom of the coolant bottle.
The problem was the water port in the head had corroded away and out towards the combustion chamber and the gasket could no longer seal. Just fitted a second hand head and new gasket and away it went. This was at 217k.

I put 140K on My 01. i sold it with 180k to my brother in law. it's still running strong. I did the timing belt and brakes.

Back