hitch questions...

It's only money

I'm currently building a sled truck. its for the R.W.Y.B class on the usa east. full pull productions events. First off if anyone runs this class and wouldn't mind showing pics of the draw bar style hitch it would be very thankful. im a guy. got to love pics. 2nd... the class rules are very vogue. I built a hitch similar to the style of the pics on page 23 in the hitch pics forum. my main question is wouldn't you want the main hitch bar has far as forward as possible? in the pics of a couple they seem to be only to the center of the axle. maybe this is a rule for there class? any help is greatly appreciated

Most rules I've seen say not forward of the center line of the rear axle

no where in the rule books does it say that. the general one and the rwyb or pro stock class rules. its says the from the center of axle to the hitch point must be no shorter than 27% of the trucks wheel base. truck is reg long bed .. math comes out to 36 inches that's all

Generally most are going to the center of the axle or behind for the hitch mounting point.
I ran a long hitch for years, went to a behind the center of the axle hitch mounting point, much better results.

no where in the rule books does it say that. the general one and the rwyb or pro stock class rules. its says the from the center of axle to the hitch point must be no shorter than 27% of the trucks wheel base. truck is reg long bed .. math comes out to 36 inches that's all

You are correct, some rules state the hitch % is MEASURED from the centerline of the axle to the point of hook. While it doesn't explicitly state the hitch can't mount forward of the centerline of the rear axle, it is implied. Some orgs have changed their wording and explicitly state it (because enough people tried pushing the interpretation), others ASSume most people know better and will disqualify you if the hitch is forward of rear axle centerline regardless of wording. This is in regards to most national orgs, brush pulls and smaller clubs may allow it forward of centerline and be legal.

I've seen guys at pulls try to argue and throw fits at pulls because the rules state "hitch can not extend forward of axle centerline" and they say their hitch (which is mounted up by the cab) is not forward of the FRONT axle centerline (because the rules don't explicitly state REAR axle centerline).

If every rule was spelled out as to what you could/couldn't do, you would have a book bigger than the bible. Some things are "generally accepted" in the pulling community and is the reason for tech inspectors (although most are idiots and don't understand the intent of the rules).

Your best bet is to contact a tech official from FPP/USA east and get a ruling.
FPPTech@gmail.com

I've spoken with Rick Feicht personally regarding rules and he has been very helpfull, so I'm sure they will clarify anything you have questions on.

Here is something to think about. Why would you want the added weight of a big long draw bar hitch, especially a tower type? A simple but well built hitch on the rear of the frame can net you the same or better results and free up a lot weight to put out front. It can and will work but you need to make sure you eliminate frame flex behind the rear axle. Here are some pictures of the last truck I converted from draw bar hitch to my new set up. It saved him 80lbs.

photo.jpg

photo-1.jpg

Last edited:
great great point leadfoot. rules are meant to be read between the lines. and pt pulling thanks for the pics and the knowledge. where in Ohio are u located? I know that pulling is a learn as you go sport. that's what makes it fun. I just don't wana be in the totally wrong direction and I also know that the pulling world is a very close group of people. I have several friends that pull and they lend parts and trade stuff and let each other drive each others tractors. that's why I have choose pulling over the drag strip. but now back on track. in the pics I see what looks to be a tilt frame....maybe for a fiberglass body???

Thornville, Ohio

The alum tubing you see in the pic are what we call magic bars. It's something I came up with a few years ago for light weight frame bracing. Setup correctly it eliminates the need for heavy steel frame trussing and/or long steel traction bars that are sometimes used to prevent the frame from flexing so much.

We have to run a Reese style at the rear of the frame. I'm now fighting frame flex behind the axle. I was planning to run some tube down along the bottom of the frame to help it, or have you found a better way? Thanks again PTPULLINGCHASSIS for all the insight and guidance.

A tower hitch don't have to be very heavy. The Holmans run one and it is very simple and light. You can try many different hitch styles and they will all do better or worse at some point on the track. I like the simple drawbar off the center of the rear with a bottom stop to adjust it.

dont forget this from web site
No lever, pivot, axis or other types of ‘trick’ hitches are prohibited. No vertical hitches, all hitches must be 33 degrees or less parallel to the ground.

When it comes to hitches use the 'kiss' method. Most everyone over thinks the whole thing way too much.

went to the track this weekend and seen both styles in the class im building for. makes my head shake and re think what I had in my mind.... and the "kiss" method?

haha nice... well I decided to do a draw-bar style hitch. I will try to get a couple pics of it up....im a new bee to the forum stuff. and yes I did keep it simple

Back