Holset advice

stroked diesel

Coach Peacock
Picked up a Holset the other day on the cheap, owner had it on shelf for what he said was almost a decade. Wanting to build a twin setup with my 66. PO said it was an 88mm holset and he had no idea where it came from. wheels spin free and very very little play so its still in decent shape for the age. I searched and didnt come up with much, Manning thinks its an early h4t but i just want to make sure before i spend any money on having it gone through and a twin kit built for them. Things are tight right now ya know. Here are some pics
2B1AE503-FA93-4973-91B0-3A6278D1CB0D_zpsd01pe1jy.jpg

BBD4725D-7539-41C5-8E9E-C608443340F7_zpshizcgr5n.jpg

F88BA245-362F-4D14-B362-2A3AC7B967C2_zpspvcdkvjg.jpg

Building one right now for a set of compounds on my truck. Decent turbos for the money. 360 thrust and masssssive journal bearings. Shaft is beefy as well.

D6DA64F1-47FA-486D-AABA-9616974DB294_zpsyplylpfh.jpg

Picked up a Holset the other day on the cheap, owner had it on shelf for what he said was almost a decade. Wanting to build a twin setup with my 66. PO said it was an 88mm holset and he had no idea where it came from. wheels spin free and very very little play so its still in decent shape for the age. I searched and didnt come up with much, Manning thinks its an early h4t but i just want to make sure before i spend any money on having it gone through and a twin kit built for them. Things are tight right now ya know. Here are some pics
2B1AE503-FA93-4973-91B0-3A6278D1CB0D_zpsd01pe1jy.jpg

BBD4725D-7539-41C5-8E9E-C608443340F7_zpshizcgr5n.jpg

F88BA245-362F-4D14-B362-2A3AC7B967C2_zpspvcdkvjg.jpg

From my experience if the turbo sits for too long with no oil in it the seals will be short lived once its ran again. Maybe i just have bad luck.

From my experience if the turbo sits for too long with no oil in it the seals will be short lived once its ran again. Maybe i just have bad luck.

I would lean towards a combination of bad luck and nature of a turbocharger. These have a piston ring on both sides like most any other turbocharger. Turbos have to be oiled well before firing up if they have been sitting a long while. Piston rings can still stick in the groove from build up hardening which causes them to spin and leak. The piston rings in these are pretty thin relative to its size which isn't a big issue unless what I mentioned happens.

Thanks ZFaylor, yea you can tell its been sitting, I'm going to send it and my 66 out to be gone through and a twin kit built for them.
I was starting to think I bought a 65lb paper weight.

Someone needs to figure out and upgraded thrust system for the HT4.

Might look the same, but they aren't the same part number, I believe that the rotation is specific to the design.

Odd considering the kits I order for all three carry the same part number..

Yet quickserve has different numbers for them, even the HT4B and C have different bearing numbers on the parts breakdown.

Yet quickserve has different numbers for them, even the HT4B and C have different bearing numbers on the parts breakdown.

That is pretty odd. I will say the thrusts are a bit odd in the big holsets. Hard to explain without a picture but they are cut back around the area where the thrust collar rides. Instead of being a solid flat piece for the most part like nearly every other turbocharger in my shop. Most have a tight fight of the thrust collar around the thrust which adds some stability obviously. On these they are cutback. Not sure how much of an effect that has on the longevity but it might explain why you've had some issues in the past with them.

I can get an upgraded thrust for the HX80 through Area. I can explore it and see what it looks like. Maybe be an upgrade option for the HT4B/C. I have never used one in a performance app. These turbos live well in the stock application for me. While I have one apart for my truck it may be worth exploring.

72707B4E-1F1A-42EA-A24E-8A07404C055E_zps60bsbnto.jpg

Second one I have had a problem come up with.

The next on that is going on will be the small charger in a twin set and I would like to get it figured out.

Back