Holset pro52 on a duramax

syrupdawg

GA Diesel Mafia
I have a holset pro52 on my 12 valve but my friend wants to try it on his duramax . My question is will it fit?

Does your friend already have an aftermarket charger?? If not, no, it won't fit without one.

I don't know enough details of the pro52 to know which Dmax kit it would work on (t3, t4, etc)

You're looking at least another $5-800 in parts to put that turbo on there. and like mitch said it all depends on the flange being t4 or t6

Well I have the adapter to go from t3 to the charger. And we are pretty good fabricators I'm just kind of wondering if it will fit in the valley of the motor? And will he need and aftermarket pedistal? We have never put a turbo on a dmax before mostly cummins and that is simple

Yea you will need a new pedistal, something like the RDL or PPE. They can be made with the correct flange too. Not sure on the dimensions of that charger tho so can't say if it will fit or not. I know people run the Gt4202 in the valley and that's a pretty good sized charger. Also the year of the truck will make a difference b/c you may also run into clearance issues if the truck has an egr system on it.

It will fit. I have one under hood as small charger. You will need aftermarket or custom pedistal.

Last edited:
Next question...it is a 71 comp wheel, 76 turbine wheel, and a 16 cm housing...wastegate or not? I don't run one on my built 12 valve and run it to 65lbs of boost all day long...how different does the dmax act as far as drivepressure?

It pumps air better. I'm not versed enough to know exactly how that'll effect your dp. I'm not sure if that means it'll flow even more air to turbine creating even more dp or if that means it'll let it breathe better resulting in lower dp. If forced to guess, I'm thinking it'll be worse. PURE speculation on my part.

What rpm were you running it at on your cummins? For a given rpm, them increased ci & airflow are going to be different on the Dmax.

I'm curious to see how the holset does because you just don't see many on a Dmax & I've often wondered why?!?

i've seen an S480 in the valley on a dmax, that pro52 will fit nicely

It pumps air better. I'm not versed enough to know exactly how that'll effect your dp. I'm not sure if that means it'll flow even more air to turbine creating even more dp or if that means it'll let it breathe better resulting in lower dp. If forced to guess, I'm thinking it'll be worse. PURE speculation on my part.

What rpm were you running it at on your cummins? For a given rpm, them increased ci & airflow are going to be different on the Dmax.

I'm curious to see how the holset does because you just don't see many on a Dmax & I've often wondered why?!?

I dont think we are going to run a wg rightnow and i will post some results after we get it done. It should work good. Just a question how big is the exhaust housing on a stock 06 duramax?

Do you mean outside dimension or flow? I'm assuming you're aware that they are a vvt, right? Also, as has been mentioned, the stock Dmax charger doesn't bolt up to a manifold/adaptor/mount like a dodge or aftermarket charger. But rather, the up pipes bolt directly to the charger which has a built in, if you will, flange. All aftermarket setups for the Dmax use a pedistal that the up pipes bolt to on back side and the turbo bolts to just like any other truck. Then a new downpipe has to be made or purchased that will attach to said new charger. The large frame chargers need a taller pedestal OR a spacer (see the PPE gt40 vs gt42 setup for what I mean) to get it up higher in the valley to clear things. They still fit under the hood just fine and are probably in the neighborhood of 9-10" in diam.??

We have done an HX60 with the PPE GT42 install kit. It takes some modifications but it can be done. Dont expect quick spool up with out changes to current setup. We would run the 60 with a 19 or 22 housing. One thing we did not like is the longevity of the HX60's on the dmax when spinning higher rpm's the thrust did not like the quick ramp up of r's that we are capable of on the duramax.

We have done an HX60 with the PPE GT42 install kit. It takes some modifications but it can be done. Dont expect quick spool up with out changes to current setup. We would run the 60 with a 19 or 22 housing. One thing we did not like is the longevity of the HX60's on the dmax when spinning higher rpm's the thrust did not like the quick ramp up of r's that we are capable of on the duramax.

Alright thanks...what do you think about the 16cm housing?

Alright thanks...what do you think about the 16cm housing?

more then likely going to be to tight you would definitely want to get a driver pressure gauge on it right away before damaging something.

Back