Holy crap, I broke my INTERMEDIATE shaft!!!

BlackSkyRacing

Living Under a Rock
Goosed my truck in town here down in 1st gear, accelerated to about 40 and then BANG! Truck jumped and suddenly I was coasting... After I called a favor from a friend with a roll back and a friend with a local shop (my shop is 30 miles away) it took me an hour after putting the truck on the hoist to have the trans out and tore down. Guess I was mad at it since this is the first time my truck has ever stranded me :kick:

Anyway, I'll have some pics as soon as I manage to find my phone...

One hour. Dang thats quick.:bow: It took me that long to get my crossmember out.:doh:

His is also a 2wd, I could do that after a long night at The Buck, lol. Wasnt that a good time Stan?

It only took me 45 minutes to drop my tranny after my intermediate broke...madness is amazing! LOL

while its down you might as well throw a big turbo under that big turbo...

I considered just registering the Intrepid and waiting with my truck until I can afford a billet input, to rebuild the posi for my rear end, fab the traction bars, and fab my twins. But I want to wait until I have most of those parts here. Kinda thinkin it might be a winter project along with some port work, .010 over HG, and studs.

His is also a 2wd, I could do that after a long night at The Buck, lol. Wasnt that a good time Stan?

Yeah, that was a pretty good night :) It`s also true that 2wd trucks are a LOT easier to drop... Especially with a hoist and air tools :Cheer:

manual tranny's are so easy to drop, haha, i've pulled mine so many times i can do a clutch in about 2 hours and have it back on the road LOL

downsized_0911002253.jpg

There it is... Shattered it somehow, that's only 1/3 of the little pieces :doh:

manual tranny's are so easy to drop, haha, i've pulled mine so many times i can do a clutch in about 2 hours and have it back on the road LOL

I refuse to become that good at dropping tranny's. I've helped with 3 manual tranny's and I'll never help drop another one. Of all the work I've done on trucks (lifts, cam, p-conversions, etc.) tranny work is my most hated of all and the only one I will pay someone else to do.

I have broke more than enough intermediate shafts that i care to. I had good luck with a new stock shaft for along time. I just broke mine and installed a new monster pump mike shaft. It seems to work well so far.

Must of got her together, saw the truck sitting in the parking lot today.

Yep, had it done 11pm Saturday night...

I refuse to become that good at dropping tranny's. I've helped with 3 manual tranny's and I'll never help drop another one. Of all the work I've done on trucks (lifts, cam, p-conversions, etc.) tranny work is my most hated of all and the only one I will pay someone else to do.

Same here, I'll rebuild a trans once it's on the bench, but I HATE the R&R work. If I could convince everyone to R&R them for me I could make a living just rebuilding autos around here...

I have broke more than enough intermediate shafts that i care to. I had good luck with a new stock shaft for along time. I just broke mine and installed a new monster pump mike shaft. It seems to work well so far.

Yeah, but I'm sure you're pushing a LOT more than 422/903 at the rear wheels... I wish I knew why this thing let loose like it did. I do indeed plan to go billet input and intermediate soon. Now if only I could find a billet output shaft for a 2wd RH :poke:

i actually have a guy working on that (2wd billet output)

his name is rusty (owner of tcs) (the converter shop - lake havasu city, az)

OR better yet....put a 4x4 billet in there

and a 4x4 housing around it

if ya do that a gear vendors with a vz nose with mate right to it and your 75 mph cruising rpm will drop almost 1000 rpm! not only that but your top speed will increase by a bunch!

what gears and what gsk do you have in the truck now?

i actually have a guy working on that (2wd billet output)

his name is rusty (owner of tcs) (the converter shop - lake havasu city, az)

OR better yet....put a 4x4 billet in there

and a 4x4 housing around it

if ya do that a gear vendors with a vz nose with mate right to it and your 75 mph cruising rpm will drop almost 1000 rpm! not only that but your top speed will increase by a bunch!

what gears and what gsk do you have in the truck now?

Cool, pretty sure I've talked to you on the phone on a couple of occasions about our mod pulling project that will require a billet front cover high stall small block converter for a 46RH... We'll probably end up putting a billet input in that thing just for peace of mind about spinning it up in excess of 8,000rpm too; even though you figured the stock would be fine there's no kill like overkill. I also think I asked about your billet triple disc TC's for the diesels too, I remember you were pretty darn reasonable on them too, but since you aren't a vendor yet I don't think I'll throw out the number I remember so I don't get you in trouble.

I had honestly considered going the other way with the 4x4 housing and bolting a T-case on the back, but not putting in a front axle. I already have an RH 4x4 housing laying on the shop floor... There are times around the farm and when towing (backing up) that 2wd low range would be nice. Not to mention I am kinda interested in building a 2wd puller.

Right now it's just a poor man's 3k (washers), but it spins all the way up to 3200 or so before defueling and stops at 3400 all together. In the next round of mods I do plan to install a set of 4k springs and 60# valve springs. I've got 3.73s out back, but I've also got 33" tires which puts my speedo right on the money compared to the stock 3.54s and 245/75R16s it was set for.

Cool, pretty sure I've talked to you on the phone on a couple of occasions about our mod pulling project that will require a billet front cover high stall small block converter for a 46RH... We'll probably end up putting a billet input in that thing just for peace of mind about spinning it up in excess of 8,000rpm too; even though you figured the stock would be fine there's no kill like overkill. I also think I asked about your billet triple disc TC's for the diesels too, I remember you were pretty darn reasonable on them too, but since you aren't a vendor yet I don't think I'll throw out the number I remember so I don't get you in trouble.

I had honestly considered going the other way with the 4x4 housing and bolting a T-case on the back, but not putting in a front axle. I already have an RH 4x4 housing laying on the shop floor... There are times around the farm and when towing (backing up) that 2wd low range would be nice. Not to mention I am kinda interested in building a 2wd puller.

Right now it's just a poor man's 3k (washers), but it spins all the way up to 3200 or so before defueling and stops at 3400 all together. In the next round of mods I do plan to install a set of 4k springs and 60# valve springs. I've got 3.73s out back, but I've also got 33" tires which puts my speedo right on the money compared to the stock 3.54s and 245/75R16s it was set for.

I, for one, can appreciate someone building a truck on a poor man's budget.

With that in mind, as respectfully as I can say this, there is no reason in the world to put a billet output shaft on a 47rh 2wd transmission in anything less than a 700 HP + nitrous fed drag truck with huge grippy slicks.

The stock 47rh output shaft will outlast everything else in the tranny, including most billet input shafts.

As far as billet intermediate shafts, some people have had better luck with new stock shafts that have a little more flex than their billet expensive cousins.

The fact that you broke an intermediate is surprising but I'll bet it doesn't happen again if you put in a new stock intermediate.

I, for one, can appreciate someone building a truck on a poor man's budget.

With that in mind, as respectfully as I can say this, there is no reason in the world to put a billet output shaft on a 47rh 2wd transmission in anything less than a 700 HP + nitrous fed drag truck with huge grippy slicks.

The stock 47rh output shaft will outlast everything else in the tranny, including most billet input shafts.

As far as billet intermediate shafts, some people have had better luck with new stock shafts that have a little more flex than their billet expensive cousins.

The fact that you broke an intermediate is surprising but I'll bet it doesn't happen again if you put in a new stock intermediate.

I'm still torn on the swap to 4x4 housing and t-case for billet output or not. I actually know a local fellow that snapped a couple of stock 2wd 47RH outputs running in the quick diesel class on #2 only. That in mind, I am looking to build a little more power than he has (my goal is 750 vs his 650) so I want to have the transmission done RIGHT before I get that high. I wanted a billet input before I hit 400+, but my truck surprised me by laying down 422/903 with my mild mods.

As far as intermediate shaft goes, I will probably end up going with a new stock piece. I guess I was just a little miffed by breaking mine until I thought about how much abuse it has seen in it's almost 17 years of existence. I just threw a used shaft I had laying around in there to get my truck back on the road since it's my only reliable set of wheels to and from college (I commute about 35 miles round trip daily). As soon as I get my project car up and going (99 Intrepid converted to RWD with a 318) I'll pretty much park my truck, except for when I need to haul something for the shop, until I have a nice pile of parts to go in :evil

look at how short the 4x4 output shaft is compared to a 2wd unit

and just because a shaft is 'billet' does not say anything about what alloy it was machined from or how hard (rockwell) it is when it gets back from the hardener :)

look at how short the 4x4 output shaft is compared to a 2wd unit

and just because a shaft is 'billet' does not say anything about what alloy it was machined from or how hard (rockwell) it is when it gets back from the hardener :)

Don't worry Rusty, I'm pretty well decided on using your shafts in my trans :Cheer:

Back