Holy crap, I broke my INTERMEDIATE shaft!!!

Talking about that 17 years of use on your stock/OEM intermediate shaft . . ..

I broke mine in a similar fashion . . .

BrokeShaft.jpg

Just like yours, in the root of one of the corners of that groove that holds the spacer-ring (a little twisting as well) . . .

Intermediate-Shaft.jpg

In cyphering why it broke (other than the 20psig boosted launch and 17 years) I found that there was a LOT of wear on that pilot bushing in the OD planetary . ...

Intermediate-Bushing.jpg

Wallowed-Bushing1.jpg

That and a lot of slop in the pinion gears/shafts of the OD planet assembly as well as a lot of pitting in the root, faces, and crowns of the pinion gears themselves . . .

Overdrive-Planetary.jpg

OD sun gear . . .

Overdrive-Sun.jpg

All that wear combined with bigger power than it was meant to handle can only lead to one conclusion eventually . . . .

-> Be sure to check everything that supports that end of the shaft.

A new OEM replacement shaft and fixing all the above has me running quicker now (with more air'n earl). :)

Talking about that 17 years of use on your stock/OEM intermediate shaft . . ..

I broke mine in a similar fashion . . .

BrokeShaft.jpg

Just like yours, in the root of one of the corners of that groove that holds the spacer-ring (a little twisting as well) . . .

Intermediate-Shaft.jpg

In cyphering why it broke (other than the 20psig boosted launch and 17 years) I found that there was a LOT of wear on that pilot bushing in the OD planetary . ...

Intermediate-Bushing.jpg

Wallowed-Bushing1.jpg

That and a lot of slop in the pinion gears/shafts of the OD planet assembly as well as a lot of pitting in the root, faces, and crowns of the pinion gears themselves . . .

Overdrive-Planetary.jpg

OD sun gear . . .

Overdrive-Sun.jpg

All that wear combined with bigger power than it was meant to handle can only lead to one conclusion eventually . . . .

-> Be sure to check everything that supports that end of the shaft.

A new OEM replacement shaft and fixing all the above has me running quicker now (with more air'n earl). :)

That's pretty much what I decided as well... The Bushing was fine, but my OD planetary was all tore up in much the same manner as yours. I also had serious issues with the needle bearings that support the pinion gears.

My truck was early enough to have a 4 pinion planetary, I should have changed it when I rebuilt it, but it looked good and was still tight. I also hadn't planned on building much more than 300rwhp at the time. I figure with as aggressive as OD shifted at WOT when locked, I probably overloaded the needles and shattered a few of them. The resulting intermittent binding must have worked on the shaft over time. Strange enough the bushing looked good and wasn't any more loose than the new one I had laying around. So I didn't bother with it.

Back