Home made Sump: thoughts

Chrisd91

Today I had a few evil thoughts after stumbling upon some freightliner axle end caps
34FE3B9A-7693-40E1-AEE6-FFD8843878DB-1475-00000178FBC5ED49.jpg

6CDD7629-3F73-46A8-8CDD-DCEFFDBAE05A-1475-00000178F44AD79C.jpg

7C735B75-603C-45BA-B417-899B0A933870-1475-00000178EE2C0B46.jpg

The plan is to drill and tap it for a 1/2" JIC fitting and use it as a sump. I would make the ring that goes on the inside of the tank. My main concern is that it is made of plastic. Since its 1/4" thick and made to hold in axle grease, I don't think diesel will be a problem. For sealing I will use either silicone or gasket material, or I might even use a dremel to put o ring grooves in.

What are your guys' thoughts?

Id make your inside ring metal. make sure everything is flat and clean and it should work.

Should work. I would worry about the tank with it only being plastic. Enough bumps and jolts and it may just split a plastic tank.

Should work. I would worry about the tank with it only being plastic. Enough bumps and jolts and it may just split a plastic tank.

I wouldn't think it'd be any worse than the metal sumps people install. With an inner ring the force wouldn't be concentrated on the bolts

My concern would be drilling and tapping the plastic for the pump feed. Maybe get a fitting long enough to thread through the plastic and a nut to hold it in.

Bulkhead fitting!

That's what I've been debating, whether to use NPT or some kind of bulkhead fitting. I think the plastic is hefty enough to take an NPT fitting. I'm not sure where I'd find a straight bulkhead fitting, but I haven't looked yet either. I have a 90 bulkhead fitting from Vulcan sitting on my shelf. I have several of these covers, so if I crack one in process I can try again on another.

I feel like my time is worth too much when I can go buy one ready to go for cheap, that's already been tested.

I have more time than money at this point, and I like DIY. I could have bought a pre made twin piping kit that was already tested, but I enjoy making things and I have confidence in my abilities. To each his own.

I have more time than money at this point, and I like DIY. I could have bought a pre made twin piping kit that was already tested, but I enjoy making things and I have confidence in my abilities. To each his own.

Agreed, there is a certain pride in saying "I built that".

Agreed, there is a certain pride in saying "I built that".

Honestly if the plastic doesn't work, I'll work with the local machine shop to build a metal one to take its place. If it works, it's something cool and unique that saved me a bit of money

I would defiantly run a metal ring on the outside aswell to distribute the clamping force on the bearing cap

Metal ring on the outside of the bearing cap is what I'm assuming you mean? So as to have the tank and cap sandwiched between two metal rings?

Seems reasonable, do you think it'd make a big difference? The cap already has metal inserts in the hole, though I could see another ring preventing the cap from potentially distorting when tightened

Metal ring on the outside of the bearing cap is what I'm assuming you mean? So as to have the tank and cap sandwiched between two metal rings?

Seems reasonable, do you think it'd make a big difference? The cap already has metal inserts in the hole, though I could see another ring preventing the cap from potentially distorting when tightened

Another ring can't hurt.

I love making my own parts, but the thought of $100+ of fuel on the ground to save $75 on parts isn't worth it IMHO.

I love making my own parts, but the thought of $100+ of fuel on the ground to save $75 on parts isn't worth it IMHO.

Find me one for $75 and I might change my mind. Most seem to be in the $160 range. The plan wasn't to put it in and fill the tank full right away, obviously I would test it with much less fuel over several miles and add more fuel if things go well

Find me one for $75 and I might change my mind. Most seem to be in the $160 range. The plan wasn't to put it in and fill the tank full right away, obviously I would test it with much less fuel over several miles and add more fuel if things go well

like everyone said, if you do not value your time for much, go for it.

bean's new design with the single bolt and oring is the way to go, you will spend more time trying to make that work than you will ordering one.

Back