homemade fuel system....low hp application

973604x4

aka landphil
I want to improve the fuel filtration on my 07. All the truck has on it is a Smarty Jr and an intake....this is my daily driver now. My 12valve is for sale.

Back home the local dealer warranties atleast a common rail a month. Trash gets in the fuel, injector hangs open, and bye bye engine. Its pretty much the middle of no where. So far i always stick to the new tanks in town, but you pay for it since its on the highway. I want to improve filtration so I dont have to worry.

Throwing an airdog on the truck for $500 is one option. I would rather not spend that kind of money since i don't need 150gph.

Does anyone make a 2 micron that will fit in the factory canister? When i had my 05 that wasn't available. Whats the best filter for the factory canister? I remember there is a better than stock filter but still only 5 micron?

Where is the best place to find a stand alone 2 micron set up? cost?

Is the stock lift pump strong enough to push fuel through a big 2 micron canister? I know I could try it with a gauge but i don't want to buy a gauge either....im thinkin budget here.

In the end, would it better to drop the cash on an Airdog now? It would be a worry free solution...but cost effective?

They got one in the tank. It's just as crappy as all of the electric dodge lift pumps. The dmax doesn't have a lift pump from the factory.

I would drop in one of those filters and forget about it. The intank pumps are actually pretty good as far as longevity goes. You really dont need anymore fuel with the Jr and stock sticks. Annndddd its QUIET!:hehe:

I would drop in one of those filters and forget about it. The intank pumps are actually pretty good as far as longevity goes. You really dont need anymore fuel with the Jr and stock sticks. Annndddd its QUIET!:hehe:

No joke. Thats primarily why I didn't want another pump :bang

My bud who's a service manager at a local dealership was suggesting the 6.7 fuel filter retrofit kit that uses a large screw-on type filter instead of the drop-in. Claims they are having less injector failures due to this type of filter which traps dirt/ect. and it goes with the filter when it's changed instead of staying in the bottom of the bowl. JMHO. Might be worth looking into for you CR guys.

My bud who's a service manager at a local dealership was suggesting the 6.7 fuel filter retrofit kit that uses a large screw-on type filter instead of the drop-in. Claims they are having less injector failures due to this type of filter which traps dirt/ect. and it goes with the filter when it's changed instead of staying in the bottom of the bowl. JMHO. Might be worth looking into for you CR guys.

Good info. I'll check into that at my dealer. They have probably never had the idea. they hate 5.9 CR filtration so bad I bet they would try it in a heart beat.

Since you're in TX call Southpoint Dodge on the motor mile (35 south) in Austin.

stock in-tank pump supports 25,000psi of rail running Smarty TNT9, so yeah, it'll keep up w/ his Jr. no problem ;)

Well yeah Forest, but you have the spark plug conversion.:hehe:

my question is why haven't you done it yet? :confused:

just changed mine this weekend actually

IMG_0713.jpg

Back