Horsepower Double 2001

Big Blue24

Comp Diesel Sponsor
About a year ago we held a give-away contest to double the horsepower on a 24v Cummins. This video shows the parts that were used. It was a tough project because we knew it could be done with the stock turbo, but that ole VP44 just didn't want to cooperate.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_LkKm9WQU4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_LkKm9WQU4[/ame]

Imagine the expenditure to double the HP on a current unit.

Couple things, first do you guys have a technical write up on the lift pump setup? Sounds awesome, would definitely entertain that the next time my air dog dies. Second, have you thought about doing a CompD contest to do some work on a truck? Probably not a "double the hp" theme, but maybe a finish you long term list theme? I'd bring you a dirty, rusty VP truck to clean up and fix! This video really makes me want to put mine on a dyno, could have just been the sound of the video, but that VP truck, just didn't sound that strong, or "sharp" on the exhaust note if that makes any sense. Either way fun and entertaining to see what you guys are up to, and how far you've come from before even opening the business.

Oh, as a disclaimer, I haven't looked for information on that lift pump yet if it is painfully obvious and easy to find.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I like the lift pump, but the potential for something to happen to the drive worries me. A pump that would tolerate enough RPM to be lovejoy-ish coupled to the end of the crank would be the bees knees. Parker's MGG series would do it, have various displacements available, though they lack the handy internal regulation. Internal pump regulation does have the drawback of aeration though....

If Bosch would have just used a touch of VE technology and incorporated a vane or gerotor pump into the VP, life would be so much simpler.

If Bosch would have just used a touch of VE technology and incorporated a vane or gerotor pump into the VP, life would be so much simpler.

Never really messed with a 44 but I went off and got a 6 vein pump in one of my VE’s. Anything is possible with money, time and money and money...

I like the lift pump, but the potential for something to happen to the drive worries me. A pump that would tolerate enough RPM to be lovejoy-ish coupled to the end of the crank would be the bees knees. Parker's MGG series would do it, have various displacements available, though they lack the handy internal regulation. Internal pump regulation does have the drawback of aeration though....

We have spun the predator pumps to 5k RPM or so on a couple of the race-oriented 12V's here at the shop. On the test stand, we've taken one to 6k RPM for an hour sustained to simulate accelerated wear/test reliability etc.

They are a good lift pump and have been great on the 12v engines. We had a few 24v truck fighting with fuel pressure issues meaning unstable pressure at times either too high or too low. We are soon to re-release the 24v kit with a secondary regulator so we can run the Predator at a happy minimum PSI setting for the internal regular and have the high RPM surge protection when someone winds one up to 3500 RPM and then chops the throttle... gotta build things bulletproof these days!

Back