Hottie with Horses needs our help....

JacktheBear3

Enthusiast
1995 6.5 liter towing Horses... Need quick nutz

Who's got the real answers for the 95 6.5 turbo diesel..... It's the OBDI version.

Hot chicky came in today and wants to haul her hot livestock around, she gots a beautiful 95 2500 with only 50K miles on it.

I know I'm supposed to know what to do, but when leaning on the experts they do not respond much.... Matter of fact they must be makin so much cash they don't want my large order.

Please; someone point me, then launch me.... hottie with horses nees help

Last edited:
I believe Kennedy Diesel is still a sponsor here, he'll know.

I don't understand, what's the problem? is the truck not running right?

if she wants/needs more power, tell her to sell it and buy a real truck (ducks flying objects thrown by unstable 6.2/6.5 lovers)

I have to wonder why she's bringing the truck to you in the first place if you have no idea what to do with it.

partsguy662 said:
I have to wonder why she's bringing the truck to you in the first place if you have no idea what to do with it.

Same reason people walk in your store. Don't you try to help them out if you can? and if you don't have the immediate answer do you just say no, or will you look into it?

I appreciate you slam, musta got sand in your jelly last night....

Forrest Nearing said:
I don't understand, what's the problem? is the truck not running right?

if she wants/needs more power, tell her to sell it and buy a real truck (ducks flying objects thrown by unstable 6.2/6.5 lovers)

Nothing is wrong, she just wants to improve towing up and down hills. The truck likes to lay down and I know that there are some reliability issues with cooling system that should be addressed, especially if there will be an Eprom upgrade.

Really looking for someones real worl experience with this vehicle.

1. Open up the intake - remove snorkel in fender if equipped (some 95s are some are not) and open up the port into the air box.
2. Exhaust. 3.5" is fine, 4" is available. Get rid of the factory downpipe
3. Cooling. Do the '97 cooling upgrade - dual cross over stats and HO water pump.
4. Pyro and boost gauges.
5. Chip it. I like my KD chip.

I have done this list on my '95 with the exception of the cooling mods. (I don't tow, so it's not an issue for me). My 6.5 runs pretty strong and has been very reliable for me....

Gauges are a must. Boost and EGT at a minimum.

My old '95 ran pretty damn good, and had absolutely zero problem towing right beside my buddy's mildly modded newer trucks. Only reason i sold it was at 190K miles the frame broke between the upper control arm mounts on the passenger side, and i didnt want to do a SAS on a rig with a tweaked frame.

Once you have gauges installed, add a chip of your choice. I had a BD power and while not as hot as the KD's or Heath's, it worked fine for me. Add a boost fooler next, you can make one for about $5 in radioshack parts and have it adjustable from in the cab(or buy one from KD), do this if her vacuum system is in good working order. Replace the exhaust, and do the whole exhaust. The factory down and crossover pipes are a joke. An intake never hurts, although you can open up the factory one where it pulls air from the fender to make a big difference.

At this point cooling upgrades are a must. I ran a d-max fan and a 185° t-stat and it kept the truck cool even when towing a 24' 10K pound enclosed trailer in mid summer. It would get warm, but i never had to back out of the throttle to let the truck cool down, i could run it hard for long periods of time without any major issue.

if you are still trying to help i had a teacher tell me once i dont know if this is true but he said take a pop off tester and use it to test the injectors and shim them to the highest spec and it will run like a scalded dog
i dont know if it works or not

The 6.5 also had a problem with overheating the module, there is a nice kit to put a cooler on that. Heath Diesel also makes some good stuff for the 6.5 too. Careful on how much boost you give, no more than about 15 psi or you will have some problems.

Kevin

Back