How cold is too Cold

CLINT_FX4_TxBoy

New to the Dark Side
This morning when I went out to start my truck it was about 65 F. Hell it wasnt even cold enough to put on the Carharrt. Started my truck up and she started bouncing around like a jumping bean. So i turned the key off and called for some help. My reference told me to warm up the glow plugs turn the key off and repeat a few times. I did this then started it and after bouncing around a bit more it started. I was wanting some opinions on what this might be. After driving it around and warming it up, i turned it off and then she started right back up. Could this be bad glow plugs or is 65 F cold enough to give me issues? Thanks in Advance.

I live in Maine and have never plugged in my truck and never had a cold start issue, even at well below zero.
65* should be no problem

Have any suggestions? Im figurin on taking it to a dealer tomorrow. Im no mechanic yet and rather get it looked at and fixed before it possibly messes something up more.

I dont even think about plugging in any of my trucks until it is -20 c

Seems to me though that the 6.0 will do that from time to time

Kevin

I plug mine in when it's outdoors and is 15F , but if I forget, it still starts like a champ, I just do it cause it makes me feel better

Mine was doing the same thing and I needed a new ICP. It was boucing around all over the place. Would happen int he temps your talking about.

Most likely sticking spool valves in the injectors. The dealer will probably reflash it to the inductive heating strategy. A good 5W40 oil will also help cold starts but at 65* you should have no issues at all.

Thanks for all the help guys. i forget what oil Im runnin right now. Since Im at college I dont really have the space or tools to do an oil change myself so when I had it changed I told him to use the best stuff they had. Which as we know the local Quick Lube may not have the best out there. Im going to see what i can do but seeing that money is an issue and Im no engine pro, Im gonna run it by the local dealer and see what they say and Ill come back to you guys with what they say and maybe get some help with what to do from there.

If it gets Cold out..20 or below, my 6.0l Idles roughs after initial startup.. I don't ever plug in any of my trucks, and don't have any serious cold start probs

Well it idled real rough but maybe im over reactin. Im gonna see how she runs over the weekend and then decide what to do from there. Thanks guys

65f is warm.

Might be sticky valves or FICM telling you it is upset.

I bet its the oil. Last night it got down to the 50s/ high 40s. I had that problem with my 05 and the dealer using whatever oil they felt like using.

Good to see a fellow bobcat on here!

Hell Yeah! JonnyB pm me when you get a chance im tryin to find some diesels around here to hit up Kennedale Nov14

Ok after my truck ran fine after its initial startup yesterday i decided I didnt want to leave it with the dealer last night. Now this morning its doing the same damn thing but a bit worse with some black smoke and it hasnt started yet. :bang

you need to run some synthetic oil in in..I prefer Valvoline..

I agree.. Buy (insert brand) oil at an auto parts store and take it to a lube shop. Most places wont charge you that much if you bring your own oil.

I would offer for you to do it at my place but by the time you spend money in fuel and time spent getting to Round Rock (its 50 miles from front of Hines to my driveway) you would be better off going to a lube shop

Well i got it started. She rumbled but i just held the throttle at about 1100 rpms till she started runnin normal. I need a oil change any ways so im gonna run by the kwik car or something see what the charge is and go pickup some oil and take it to em. I heard Amsoil 5w-40 synthetic was good. This a good oil to run in yalls opinion? It may be in part because of the oil but i think its probably something else.

Been running Mobil1 5w40 for several oil changes now, and I haven't plugged my truck in yet, even at -5 F. Fires right off with no issues.

Back