How do I change glow plugs in 1992 7.3L?

4x4dually

My buddy, fellow guitar picker, called today and wants me to put new glow plugs in his 1992 Ford 7.3 non-turbo (whatever model engine that is).

Are there any special tools, special tricks, or do I just have to hold my mouth right and cuss a lot? Do I have to drop the tranny or anything retarded?

I don't work on fords....I guess until now so it will all be new.

I would be VERY grateful for any tricks or step-by-step instructions if you have them before tomorrow at noon. I would owe you a couple :Cheer:

Thanks ya'll! :D

It's a ford everything is retarded.... No there is nothing really hard about putting glow plugs in a naty 7.3. Does he know for sure that they are bad? The controls can crap out aswell or just the seloniod on the controler.

IKE

IKNOWEVERYTHING said:
It's a ford everything is retarded.... No there is nothing really hard about putting glow plugs in a naty 7.3. Does he know for sure that they are bad? The controls can crap out aswell or just the seloniod on the controler.

IKE

Umm...it's actually a International!!! You can test each glow plug by hooking up your test light to the positive side of the battery, disconnect the wire that goes to each glow plug, and touch your test light to the contact. If you have light, your glow plug is good...no light=bad glow plug. I haven't replaced glow plugs for a few years, but I think you will want a 3/8" or 10mm deep socket...1/4" drive works the best! With no turbo in the way, this job should only take maybe a half hour, have fun!

Cool. As much oil as it leaks, it aught to be nasty, but fairly straight forward. I'll check them first and see if he has some bad ones. I think he has had trouble starting in the cold so he bought a whole set. He'd love it if he could take a bunch of them back. He just called me and told me he has a 'clitlen' book so that may help...as much as those stupid books do.

Thanks guys. I'm no International mechanic that is FOR SURE!! :D

Oh hell, I meant to type "chitlen" not "clitlen". I guess they both would be funny though..nice catch you dirty sob. :hehe:

I will bet a dollar to a donut that the controler is the only problem. Its back towards the firewall and they crap out often.

blackandstacked said:
I will bet a dollar to a donut that the controler is the only problem. Its back towards the firewall and they crap out often.

Get your wallet out...if the controller is bad, that truck is NOT going to start at any temp below 50, and that's if he's lucky. He said the truck was hard to start in cold weather, but it will start...belive me, I used to own a 6.9.

I'll test them all first. If I find any bad ones, we'll replace them and try it. If it doesn't improve, we'll look into the controller. Any way to test it? Anyone have a schematic?

Thanks!!

I just replaced all eight glow plugs on mine & that's all that it was. The non turbo trucks aren't that hard. Just unplug the wires that hook up to em & spray some WD40 or PB Blaster around the base & give it a few hours to soak. Then you'll need a 3/8s (not 10mm....don't ask) deep well or you can bend a wrench to help you out too.
Put a universial on the deep well & hook that to an extension.
l_02c15ff672c3d73dfdfe30d917a331aa.jpg

Here's the 3/8 we bent at both ends, funny thing is that it worked on a 3/8s extension with the ratchet. :D
l_2db1d42b6d4e3fcb229e256b98b4adaf.jpg

Thanks guys! After your responces, as soon as he drove up we tested them and they were all good! (thank God, that saved us a lot of time and money all because of you guys!) Then I asked more detailed questions. Come to find out he was pluging his truck in and still having to cycle his glow plugs two or three times to get it to start easy. So I told the knucklehead we need to check his block heater. Sure enough, I put a ohm meter on the plug-in end and it was open. I put a new cord on it and cleaned the connection to the block heater itself which was corroded and then squeeze the female contacts to tighten them up. We plugged it in and it pulled 7 amps (854 watts) and made a boiling sound. Hopefully that fixed everything...as long as he plugs it in!

Thanks again for saving us money and time!!!!!!

blackandstacked said:

You owe me a donut punk!!! :hehe:

Back