How do I get my lizard friends out of a vertical pipe in the ground?

Begle1

So I pounded in some 7' long 2 3/8" diameter posts a few months ago. Getting around to installing the caps on top.

But now I have little lizard friends living inside of the posts. I don't wanna put the caps on because then they'll die horrible deaths.

How do I get my lizard friends out of the posts so I can install the caps?

I thought about filling the posts full of water but I'm unsure if that'd accelerate any rust problems.

Is there something heavier than air I can put inside the post, to flush the lizards out?

But I wouldn't want any sort of vapor to overwhelm the poor lizards, make them lose consciousness, and then get sealed up anyways.

Maybe if I filled the posts full of water, then waited for it to drain out/ evaporate, and then put a bunch of WD-40 down there?

I'm sure I'm not the first person to have this problem.

I'm not sure if they will float and be brought up by the water. I have seen a small lizard drown from a steep puddle. You could try pouring sand in slowly so they can climb up and rise with the sand level.

I'm not sure if they will float and be brought up by the water. I have seen a small lizard drown from a steep puddle. You could try pouring sand in slowly so they can climb up and rise with the sand level.

Damn, I wasn't expecting a serious solution to the problem. You da man.

At first I thought the smoke idea could be useful in conjunction with the sand, but they're probably much more susceptible to toxic smoke inhalation due to their small lung size and could knock them out at the least. Who knows but it's a thought.

Make a Smoke Bomb Using Ping-Pong Balls (Easy Method)
  • Gather three or four ping-pong balls.
  • Cut a hole in the top of one of the balls.
  • Cut the other balls into small pieces and put them in the hole.
  • Stick a pencil in the hole.
  • Take the pencil out.
  • Light the smoke bomb by placing a lighter under the ball.
  • Toss the bomb and watch it smoke.

May be toxic to them, I don’t know. I’ve seen a buddy light a pine cone for his bee smoker.

Last edited:
Put free food and a welfare check just outside the entrance to the pipe. Mothballs might work.

Last edited:
How big is the pipe?
Will a shop vacuum cleaner hose fit down it?

I think the sand idea is practical.

Mark.

How about a piece of tubing attached to a air compressor?

Maybe the blast of air would cause them to exit.

Stick of pvc with tape of some sort on the end. I woudn't want to use something with an adhesive that might tear their skin up.

Really? Over a few lizards? How many lizards? How many pipes? Cap the damn things and move on. I sure as **** wouldn't BUY sand to save the poor lizards. I guess it you have free sand available to you, maybe. But it'll hold more moisture than just a void and may contribute to a premature corrosion problem. The water solution may work if they'll float/swim out. Then you could siphon out the water and as you suggested maybe even coat the inside of the pipe with oil of some sort.

Back