How do you filter WMO with filter socks?

bsmith

Never enough
If you have a link or site to filtering, please post it up.

If not then just tell me how you filter your wmo and watf.

Can I put the socks in side of each, starting with the biggest micron to smallest mic sock or no?

I will only be doing a few gallons at a time. So I'd just like a simple efficent way.

Thanks

55 gallon drum or smaller what ever u prefer, hand drum pump or electric, inline screw on 10 micron filter... works on just about everything except watery oils

I filter veggie by first pouring it through some blue jeans then filter it through 2 10 micron house filters.

For filtering through socks - yes you just nest them inside each other. The bigger on the inside. Then just pour it through. I usused to double up on the 2 micron to get a higher efficiency. Depending on what type of filter you are using, you just turn inside out and rinse to clean....

By nesting you drastically increase your filter life length.

Sam

What's a good step of microns for oil with 3-10k miles?

Should I go 25, 10, 5, 2?

How long does it typically take for say 6-10 gallons? Just a rough estimate.

Thanks for the info.

Yes, 25, 10, 5, 2, and 2. You can use a 5 gallon jug from homedepot to help support the filters. I would make sure and put a magnet on the side to help get any metal particles.

Rough estimate - 10-15 minutes maybe. If you can heat the oil a little, it will help it flow through the filters better. Depending on what filters you end up with- you can get the oil up to 200 degrees and it will flow super fast...

Sam

I just run a 25-10-1 micron filter setup. I roll the drum outside in the morning and leave it in the sun to warm it up a bit before filtering it. I run as high as a 50/50 mix. It does give a slight haze at idle though.

When I used to make my own bio a few years ago I would filter it from the resturant trap through paniehose and through a 10micron filter into my fuel tank. I did this for over a year and never had any ff clogging problems. Like mentioned before, it all depends on the quality of your wvo.

10 micron is about all u can hand pump comfortably... any smaller and electric pump is needed imo. also 10 micron is what is on my truck so imo 10 is good to filter w/. also ive ran 2 tanks of 95% used trans fluid. a tad smokey, a very slight power decrease. in my experience 50% waste oil is the most i could run w/ no ill effects. when running high waste oil ratio's i feel the need to change filters more often as the oil and filters look dirtier.

watf.......

i burned WATF in my truck for 6 months, saved a lot on fuel cost, but...... i ended up going through 3 sets of glow plugs, a set of injectors and heads that had a buildup of carbon that had to be knocked off w/ a punch. i would run it through a 20, 10 and a 2 micron filter w/ a powerful magnet. it ran good other than that. there is so much gunk in WATF, it's near impossible to get it all out. water, friction modifiers, metal, asbestos, carbon..........
now i am much more informed. the ideal filter is a centrifuge, 15 gph and be done. i will get it for free now where i was paying a dollar a gallon before. i spend 6000.00 a year on fuel right now and think i can get a kit centrifuge going for under 500.00 so it won't take long to step up to a 6000 rpm monster.

Back