How do you Minimize soot on boats/trailers?

Gasoline Sucks

slow 12v
I dont want to neuter the thing with smaller injectors is there anyway to minimize the soot? Ive tightened the afc etc. no help. Im wondering if the 5" makes it lazy and thats why it coats everything I tow. Anyone else have this issue?

most of the mods for these trucks move the power up higher in the rev range.
Lower timing, higher compression, stock cam, stock or smaller intake ports, would make good low end power and smoke less off the line.
A VCO injector will haze less. Seems the wider pattern on the 370's likes low timing as well.
Small tow twins would be a good option. Maybe you should check out crazy carl's supercharger kits? Thats about the only other way I can think of to make air right off idle. Not cheap, but you can just about have your cake and eat it too, with that setup.

Last edited:
5x16sac no plate 181 dv. I have been through a few sets of injectors but they all seem to paint the boat and or trailer at highway speeds on long trips. Around town doesnt seems to matter as much. I tow at 70-80mph rpm is between 1700-2000 and the right side of what ever is behind me gets coated.

Last edited:
AFC live?

I've never used it, but some of the video's I've seen it would help out a bunch.

Tighter turbine housing. Cam companies claim their product reduces smoke and increases spool.

Not the answer your looking for, but an easy way to wash it off is ZEP heavy duty orange degreaser. I found this by accident and have been using it for years and can only find it at Home Depot. Removes it like nothing else.

The OP seems to be having the issue mainly cruising on long trips. It may not be ideal OP but get yourself an old man turn down tip. Seems most hot shot guys around here that haul RVs tend to run one. That and one of those long old man mudflaps that hooks to the hitch receiver.

I'll tell you how I almost completely got rid of soot on my '02. I had Zach Hamilton send me a cam. It was amazing how much faster it got on top of the turbo on the on-ramps with a loaded trailer after that. It was night and day. One of the single best things I ever did to the 24 valve.

A turn down tip on your exhaust will make the single most improvement for the money and time spent.

I'll tell you how I almost completely got rid of soot on my '02. I had Zach Hamilton send me a cam. It was amazing how much faster it got on top of the turbo on the on-ramps with a loaded trailer after that. It was night and day. One of the single best things I ever did to the 24 valve.

Afraid he's right. The same truck had 5" with no turn down and was pretty easy on whatever was behind it.
A turn down on my 12v eliminated the problem on that truck.

Last edited:
You can move your exhaust and try to keep it off the trailer or you can work on the tune of the smokey pig and get the added benefit of having more power that is smoke free and cleaner fenders and trailers. $.02

You can move your exhaust and try to keep it off the trailer or you can work on the tune of the smokey pig and get the added benefit of having more power that is smoke free and cleaner fenders and trailers. $.02

? you act like that truck was smokeless...

? you act like that truck was smokeless...

Not on level 4 in a taller than needed gear it wasn't. On level 2 (tow) with a trailer and not driving like an effin idiot it was pretty dang close. :D

i will try a turn down for sure. I was going to try extending the tip of the tailpipe out a foot or two and choking it down to 4" just while towing to try to get the soot out past the trailer.

Under load at 2k@80mph its making 10-15psi depending on load its on top of the turbo it will pull 50+psi from 1700 relatively smoke free. The soot comes from cruising at speed over long distance looking in the mirror you cannot ever see any haze or smoke.

I have been using purple power in a lawn sprayer to clean it but stripping the wax off my freshly painted boat is not my favorite fix.

I towed a new enclosed trailer and every screw (200+) on the right side of the nice white trailer had a soot trail behind it like someone air brushed it on there.

Last edited:
Bullhorn. Up and out. And don't let people make fun of you. It's a functional upgrade. Even your ghost trailers will be soot free and everyone else can #sand. LOL ;)

Back