How does a slipper clutch work?

RTK

I understand what they do but how does it work? I know how a regular clutch works because I replaced mine in my dodge.

I just had a guy at Gordyville explain this to me and I can't remember :doh:

The Clutch Uses A Set Of Counterwieghts On A Cam System. As Engine Rpm Increases The Flywheel Spins The Wieghts Out Using Cintrifical Force Appling Preasure To The Cam And Then To The Preasure Plates. The Faster The Rpm The Harder The Clamping Force. Most of the time the clutch lets you know when its go time it will push your peddle up and the show begins.

Actually a true slipper clutch like crowler doesn't use a pedal. Only time a pedal is used is to make the truck move with out raising the rpms. So you press the pedal and it moves. Its backwards to a normal clutch. To change the rpm at which the clutch starts apply pressure under rpm tolerances are setup on the pressure plate. Truck will sit completely still at idle while in gear, till you bump the pedal or raise the rpms

Last edited:
I would imagine they are quite difficult to get setup properly?

I've worked on a few Freightliners with those peddleless centrifugal clutches. They were always with the Eaton autoshift gearboxes. Exactly how was described. Flyweights in the clutch clamp the discs. The big trucks use a deep dish flywheel to contain it all, it's quite the abortion.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Same set up as what Top Fuel cars use. Very simple to set up especially if you know how to tune a snowmobile clutch. Same idea as a full slipper(centrifical) clutch.
If you look at companies like ACE Racing or Molinari they will show what a slipper clutch set up looks like for a racer

Well I definately know snowmobile clutches.... is that what you are running in your truck Aaron?

I've worked on a few Freightliners with those peddleless centrifugal clutches. They were always with the Eaton autoshift gearboxes. Exactly how was described. Flyweights in the clutch clamp the discs. The big trucks use a deep dish flywheel to contain it all, it's quite the abortion.

lol you mean the "slam the dock" transmissions? Heard of one broken crank on a POS Paccar MX after the driver tried to back up a few inches to touch a dock. Grabbed all at once and snap!:doh:

I hate driving them, even just in and out of the shop.

Back