How hard is it refresh/rebuild a charger?

Step 1: buy rebuild kit
Step 2: find patience
Step 3: rebuild
Step 4: admire turbo with new thrust washer, bushings, seals, and a nut, oooohh ahhhhh speciall.. :D

HX35 and HE351 are both really easy to rebuild.

I've never owned a S300 based charger.

lol well you can use the feeler gauges to measure blade to housing clearance, you weren't wrong.. But being that he's just changing bushings and seals and such, none of that should change, but it's always better to be safe than sorry.. good call..

lol well you can use the feeler gauges to measure blade to housing clearance, you weren't wrong.. But being that he's just changing bushings and seals and such, none of that should change, but it's always better to be safe than sorry.. good call..

Any visuals/diagrams?

I just called htt about a rebuild kit today and they quoted me 120-130.

Does this sound about right?

I wouldn't bother to have it balanced since it will never see a shaft speed of 20,000 rpm or 5X that. (inserts sarcasm smiley)

how does a shop actually balance a turbo? curious about the device used.

how does a shop actually balance a turbo? curious about the device used.

There is a machine used to balance the turbine shaft, then the turbine shaft with comp wheel and after final assembly a VSR, vibration sorting rig, is used to final balance the cartridge at speed

There is a machine used to balance the turbine shaft, then the turbine shaft with comp wheel and after final assembly a VSR, vibration sorting rig, is used to final balance the cartridge at speed

Even a refresh for preventive maintance, needs to be balanced?

My charger doesn't have side to side or thrust play. I just wanna be safe.

Thanks for your answer.

I am told that if you mark the exact location of the wheel to shaft that the original balance will be ok

this straight out of the factory Dodge Cummins rebuild manual

I have a Prostreet 66mm turbo needs a bearing and seal as well and would love to not have to pay $300-700 for a shop rebuild, if I could do it successfully myself

thoughts?

I am told that if you mark the exact location of the wheel to shaft that the original balance will be ok

this straight out of the factory Dodge Cummins rebuild manual

I have a Prostreet 66mm turbo needs a bearing and seal as well and would love to not have to pay $300-700 for a shop rebuild, if I could do it successfully myself

thoughts?

This is excatly how I feel.
Parts are a 120 or so and a reduild is 400+ That's a lot for labor, to me.

Who's to say their gonna balance it anyway and not do what seeker said?

Just thinking out loud.

This is excatly how I feel.
Parts are a 120 or so and a reduild is 400+ That's a lot for labor, to me.

Who's to say their gonna balance it anyway and not do what seeker said?

Just thinking out loud.

How much is an engine overhaul if she explodes and sends parts into your engine??

Yeah, it's worst case, but it can still happen. Cheaping out can be fine, but it can also cost a lot;)

Chris

How much is an engine overhaul if she explodes and sends parts into your engine??

Yeah, it's worst case, but it can still happen. Cheaping out can be fine, but it can also cost a lot;)

Chris

That's very true Chris, he did say they'd warranty for a year. But is the warranty even worth it anymore? That's the question.

Back