how hard is it to change an oil pan gasket?

red dodge2

as the title says. truck is leaking oil out the front and need to replace it. how hard is it to do and if anyone has any tips let me know.

I'd check to make sure all your bolts are tight first before you decide to change the gasket. A bunch of trucks up my way had that problem including my 02 when it was still under 100k miles.

I have been told that there isn't a lot of room in there, but it can be done.

As said above, clean it up and check all the bolts. If you have to change out the gasket, you will need to pick the engine up about 4-5 inches. This is not the end of the world, but it is a MAJOR PIA. Some guys have gotten away with cleaning everything real good and running a bead of RTV around the outside. Yes its a 1/2 arse fix, but it might get you by for a while.

i have loosened the motor mounts and lifted engine up and pulled pan out before not to bad but like above id deffintly make sure it was the oil pan not cover, ps pump front seal or gear housing

yeah check the vacuum pump too. When my vac seal went bad it leaked all over the oil pan causing me to think it was the pan gasket. After some searching around i could see that my vac seal was leakin like a sivv. just a thought, the vac seal wasnt bad to replace at all either....

i can see where the oil is coming out and in the front. its not a constant leak, but it makes a mess. i had my front timing case off over the winter and used RTV silicone to reseal it in the front, but i guess it didnt seal it all the way. how well would that work if i just squirted some on the outside it?

probly not verry good. i have always used rtv as well tho but if you can silicone it without pulling the damper you might as well try. if you have to pull stuff out of the way you might as pull the cover.

Back