How long will a 7.3 last?

Aaron Loy

I recently bought a 1997 7.3 powerstroke and had to put a transmission in it. It has 227k on it. What is the average life span of these motors? Or would it be in my best interest to sell the truck

how many trucks have you seen running around with over 230k on them?

they are in the minority is my point, sure they are out there, depends what kind of life the truck has had

Last edited:
Lol! 227k is a baby.....That's what mine had on it when I bought it. I've got 352k and climbing. Just keep good oil in it and you won't have any problems.

Lol! 227k is a baby.....That's what mine had on it when I bought it. I've got 352k and climbing. Just keep good oil in it and you won't have any problems.

These engines only ask for one thing to survive and good fresh oil and regular changes really does wonders.

Schaeffers 7000 or 9000. Pulling truck here at the shop has 9000 in it and hasn't had the oil changed in 2 years. Motor was down on compression in 1 cylinder when it was installed, 655hp, 2 years later with 25+ dyno runs and probably 75 sled pulls on it and it's still going strong. Oil analysis shows it's still got some life left on it before it needs changed. But in all seriousness, 7k-10k on an oil change is EASY as pie. Figure up what it cost to change the oil every 4k-5k with rotella and compare that to 10k mile intervals on Schaeffers and there is no cost difference.

Plenty of 7.3s out there with over 200,000 on rotella only. Not that I would reccomend it, just saying.

I bought it from an older man who occasionally hauled some cattle. But always kept it serviced good. So hopefull I can get atleast 50,000 out of it before I sell it

Have a friend that has a 7.3 pushing 360k. Before he purchased it the truck was a service truck for a local power company. Although I'm sure it has been maintained to the highest degree, the truck has not had an easy life. 7.3's aren't the most powerful engines out there, but take care of it and it will take care of you for many miles.

The main problem with Rotella is that over time it begins to foam more which is hard on injectors and the HPOP. I have not ran it in anything for several years but back when we had two 7.3s I could tell when it got close to 4000 miles as power and fuel economy would drop. After we changed to Mobil Delvac the problem went away. We run John Deere oil at the shop now and all the motors seem to love it.

I got 230k on my 7.3 and it's had rotella it's whole life. No issues with it.

Lost an injector at 200k went with SS stage ones. Still have the factory hpop too.

Love my lower power, high mpg beast!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while pulling a 36ft gooseneck and not paying attention to the road.

300+ with proper maintence

You are kidding me!! I have a coworker who never does chit to his ,he has almost 400k. I checked his oil one time and it didnt even read on the stick. That was 2 years ago.(he added that day) The only thing he had problems with the injector wire harness burnt up early this year. 2 trannys 3 or 4 alternators. Every thing else is factory.

Last edited:
Back