How long will a 7.3 last?

I had 303,xxx on mine when I wrecked it. I bought it with 260,000 and between that time doubled the power, sled pulled 45-50 times, drag raced occasionally and daily drove the piss out of it... Take care of it and they will run a long time.

those 7.3 will run forever the body will fall of before the motor goes.

You are kidding me!! I have a coworker who never does chit to his ,he has almost 400k. I checked his oil one time and it didnt even read on the stick. That was 2 years ago.(he added that day) The only thing he had problems with the injector wire harness burnt up early this year. 2 trannys 3 or 4 alternators. Every thing else is factory.

They will not run if they are to low on oil.

I keep telling him them trucks have an oil pressure sensor something or another and it will not run if it is low. Funny thing we were 50 miles from home when i found the clean stick.
When the wire harness burnt up on him it just started running bad and the first thing i did was check the oil.:bigsmile:
His responce is allways "it has 13 qts should be fine"

Last edited:
Yes 7.3 and 6.0 engines require oil to fire the injectors. I ran my 7.3 too low once and it quit.

Research heui injectors.

iPhone Tapatalk

I recently bought a 1997 7.3 powerstroke and had to put a transmission in it. It has 227k on it. What is the average life span of these motors? Or would it be in my best interest to sell the truck

It would be in everyone's best interest for you to sell the truck IMMEDIATELY!!

I bet he has one of these chips...

funyun.jpg

Dude! It's the best diesel engine on the market and taken care of correctly will out live you! Got tired of my 99 at 323,000 miles and sold it to my buddy. It now has 410,000 on it.

Back