How many miles is too many

relay93

If you were looking to buy a used 2003 to 2007 5.9 truck what would you consider too many miles. For example I found a 2005 Dually 4x4 6speed with everything onit and the truck has a 150k miles. The owners wife pulls a gooseneck horse trailer to shows.

So what say you. What would you consider too many miles for used.

i would not be scared of it. i bought my 04.5 3 years ago and it had 121k on it. the guy used it to pull a 4 place enclosed snowmachine trailer. i have 173k on it now with the factory trans auto and a converter i put in this spring.

as long as it is a well kept truck and nothing leaking in obvious places ie. diff plates oil leaks or trans leaking i would look around the engine compartment and check the body out good and if all is well i would say it is a good truck.

a few trucks around me were purchased with 250K+ one 96 ext cad dualie had 3xxK on it when bought and it has been a great truck and it has been worked hard since new, i say go for it

I have had two trucks over 300,000 miles, both ran better than my 98 12 valve with 130k on it.

Thanks for the replies and please overlook the spelling on the word bought from above.

Roger

I have an '05, and because of my job, I have almost 210K on it. Never had an ounce of problems with it, but I maintain it well. I'm still on the original tranny, and other than regular maintenance items, I haven't had to replace a single thing.

It's been a great truck, and I wouldn't hesitate about buying a higher mileage one, providing the previous owner can show you some service records and what not.

I just picked up a an '05 regular cab 2WD with 373,000 miles last month. It was a repossessed vehicle I got from an auction. I flew out to Texas and drove 22 hours home and it drove flawlessly, averaging 21mpg throughout the trip! If the vehicle was properly maintained, I don't think you'll have a problem.

My plan is to turn this new 2WD truck into a race truck. I plan on eventually taking the built motor out of my current truck and putting it into this new truck. When I first made the decision to purchase this new truck, I figured I'd rebuild the high mileage motor before doing the swap. But, based on how well this new motor runs, I wouldn't hesitate doing the swap without a rebuild.

Jared

Back