how much do you machine off for head studs

Big Deezul

I realize you have to machine the pedestal to clear the valve cover..can anyone tell me how much needs to be taken off. I found one post that said .20x1.1 inches...can anyone verify?

I realize you have to machine the pedestal to clear the valve cover..can anyone tell me how much needs to be taken off. I found one post that said .20x1.1 inches...can anyone verify?

It isn't going to change stud to valve cover clearance...

its not the stud that hits the valve cover it is the nut. the nut that goes on the stud is much taller than the stock bolts head, so .200" needs to be taken off to get the nut sunk down enough to not hit the valve cover. the distance in to the pedestal isn't as crucial as taking the height off. you just need to take enough off to clear the washer.

its not the stud that hits the valve cover it is the nut. the nut that goes on the stud is much taller than the stock bolts head, so .200" needs to be taken off to get the nut sunk down enough to not hit the valve cover. the distance in to the pedestal isn't as crucial as taking the height off. you just need to take enough off to clear the washer.

You can grind the nubs off the inside of the valve cover and they will fit. Thats what I did.

thanks...I was just wondering the the distance into the pedestal so I can give my machine shop some clear directions.

here is a pic the stock is on the left and modded is on the right

Attachments

• CIMG0187.JPG
    CIMG0187.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 66
Back